Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any one else have a similar issue?: My computer is under warranty with a hardware issue-- Apple's solution: buy a new computer while you wait.

Hi all,

I'd love any advice: My year-old 2020 MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur) has issues where it freezes and shuts down randomly. The cursor will freeze and then the computer will restart. Unfortunately, this has happened multiple times where I lose work. This happens randomly and will can happen as much as 3-4x per day. It can be when I'm online or in other applications-- like Microsoft Word. I have taken it in now to the Apple Genius Bar on four separate occasions. They have reset it as a new computer thinking that it was a software issue, however the problem keeps occurring. Apple would now like to send it in for repair which can take 3-5 days but sometimes longer. Unfortunately, I am in graduate school and also use my personal computer for my job-- I cannot go this long without a computer. I asked Apple for a loaner computer, but they told me that I'd need to purchase another computer temporarily while I wait for mine to get repaired (and I could return the new one when the old one is fixed). Being in graduate school, I don't have any savings and would have to take out more student loans in order to purchase a temporary computer. My computer is less than a year old, still under warranty, and has no damage. Apple has told me they cannot replace my computer until they have attempted to repair it three separate times. I'm uncertain why there is no loaner program or why they can't replace it. Their solution feels only available to people who are privileged enough to have a disposable income, which is incongruent to their recent justice initiative. It also intuitively doesn't make sense for them as a company-- why sell me a new computer to have me only return it later?

Has this issue happened to anyone else? If so, have you been successful in getting support from Apple? If anyone has advice on this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you!

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2021 5:16 PM

Get a loner from your school or workplace. Apple is not in the computer loaner business.

Make sure you have a data backup before sending it in for repair.

Similar questions

1 reply

Any one else have a similar issue?: My computer is under warranty with a hardware issue-- Apple's solution: buy a new computer while you wait.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.