You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing the timeline

I am new to FCPX and am using an iMac. I have edited a movie and saved it as a "Master File." I want to continue with editing and when I load the master file into FCPX the timeline does not show the titles etc. added to the time above the timeline. The titles are embedded into the timeline. I need to edit the titles but can not get to them through the inspector. How do I get back to the screen displaying my original timeline( with titles above)?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 7:55 AM

In FCP, you use libraries, that are you "documents", that contain your media files, where you organize things, and your projects - that is where you make your edits.

Then you export (also called "share") to a self-contained movie file.

What you want is NOT to reimport the movie file you created, it is to reopen the project and make any changes to it.

You should really take some time to learn the fundamentals of the application.

I strongly recommend that you follow the free introductory course at izzyvideo.

I guarantee that it will help immensely, by learning the structure, the vocabulary, and the main ideas about using the application (not to mention some good tips about editing).

It will save you a lot of headaches and get you to enjoy and be productive with FCP much more quickly.

(And did I say it's free?)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2021 7:55 AM in response to ZeosNDB47

In FCP, you use libraries, that are you "documents", that contain your media files, where you organize things, and your projects - that is where you make your edits.

Then you export (also called "share") to a self-contained movie file.

What you want is NOT to reimport the movie file you created, it is to reopen the project and make any changes to it.

You should really take some time to learn the fundamentals of the application.

I strongly recommend that you follow the free introductory course at izzyvideo.

I guarantee that it will help immensely, by learning the structure, the vocabulary, and the main ideas about using the application (not to mention some good tips about editing).

It will save you a lot of headaches and get you to enjoy and be productive with FCP much more quickly.

(And did I say it's free?)

Oct 16, 2021 4:55 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I did REALLY take some time to learn the fundamentals. Perhaps my question was a little too fundamental. I did call Apple support and was guided quickly to a solution and better understanding. I would think that it is not too unusual to watch and study videos and not fully understand all the fundamentals. I appreciate your attempt to help and your critique of my effort.

Editing the timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.