Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Hub Not Responding Only for Shared Users

My home hub works fine for me on my iPhone XR but my wife iPhone XR and iPad 8th generation gets notifications “home hub not responding” “home hub responding” constantly (more so when not on home network while using cellular data or someone else’s wifi and less often when on home network) I’ve enabled her as admin and enabled her remote access to devices. Does anyone know cause/solution?

note:

I’ve removed her from home and re-added her

ive unplugged home hub and re-plugged

all devices are running latest OS

in iCloud we both have keychain and home turned on (I am sharing my 200gb iCloud with wife)

HomePod mini, 15

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 5:43 PM

Response to questions:

To start with, what device and model do you have set up as the home hub? iPod mini (running latest os)

Are you able to control your home remotely during the same time frame when she experiences the same issues? Yes. My Apple ID on my devices never has issues, HomePod always connected when home or away for me and can always control them.

UPDATE: root cause/solution identified (forums suggested non iCloud email apple ids may cause this)

wife had a gmail for Apple ID. I signed out of her gmail Apple ID on her iPad 8th Gen and iPhone XR. I created an new iCloud email for her Apple ID. I signed back into iPhone XR and iPad 8th Gen with new iCloud email Apple ID. I removed her from my Home under her gmail Apple ID. I re-added her with the new iCloud email Apple ID. I enabled admin and stream/record and remote access to control for her. She no longer has any issues (note:iPad wouldn’t connect to home at all off home network, Since it was JUST occurring on the iPad and likely a glitch/bug since NOT happening on iPhone, I did a complete erase factory reset and it fixed it)

lesson learned: apple plays nice with apple. Not so well with 3rd party email/Apple ID. I’m ok with that but wish phone support suggested it as a potential solution after numerous communications/support attempts. Hopefully it’s noted :)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2021 5:43 PM in response to MichelleT18

Response to questions:

To start with, what device and model do you have set up as the home hub? iPod mini (running latest os)

Are you able to control your home remotely during the same time frame when she experiences the same issues? Yes. My Apple ID on my devices never has issues, HomePod always connected when home or away for me and can always control them.

UPDATE: root cause/solution identified (forums suggested non iCloud email apple ids may cause this)

wife had a gmail for Apple ID. I signed out of her gmail Apple ID on her iPad 8th Gen and iPhone XR. I created an new iCloud email for her Apple ID. I signed back into iPhone XR and iPad 8th Gen with new iCloud email Apple ID. I removed her from my Home under her gmail Apple ID. I re-added her with the new iCloud email Apple ID. I enabled admin and stream/record and remote access to control for her. She no longer has any issues (note:iPad wouldn’t connect to home at all off home network, Since it was JUST occurring on the iPad and likely a glitch/bug since NOT happening on iPhone, I did a complete erase factory reset and it fixed it)

lesson learned: apple plays nice with apple. Not so well with 3rd party email/Apple ID. I’m ok with that but wish phone support suggested it as a potential solution after numerous communications/support attempts. Hopefully it’s noted :)

Oct 18, 2021 3:36 PM in response to HomekitUser123

Hello HomekitUser123,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities! We understand that your wife has been experiencing a home hub error when trying to control accessories from her device, primarily when not connected to your home Wi-Fi network.

To start with, what device and model do you have set up as the home hub? Are you able to control your home remotely during the same time frame when she experiences the same issues?

Let's start with the steps under the "If your home hub isn't working as expected" section here:

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

After that, try removing her then inviting her to control accessories again while her iPad or iPhone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the home hub:

Allow others to control accessories in your home - Apple Support

Let us know what happens from there.

Take care.

Home Hub Not Responding Only for Shared Users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.