Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did the audio selection go in Maps on iOS 15

Why do I no longer have the option of hearing voice on turn by turn directions in maps if Bluetooth is enabled? I used to be able to have directions come through phone speaker. I used to be able to pull up a tab to select where I wanted the sound to come from. That menu is no longer there. I can disable Bluetooth to my car, but then I lose all my other Bluetooth functions as well. This is unacceptable! Might have to use google maps going forward!

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Oct 18, 2021 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 3:58 PM

ChrisJ4203 and Ray C. are correct - I used the following sequence as a workaround. Go to the Map App in settings and click on Spoken Directions. Make sure that Directions on Radio is turned off. In the Map App, start directions for a destination. Go to Control Panel and click on the circle with the triangle at the bottom. Check iPhone. The audio prompts for the map will now come through the iPhone speaker, or whatever device you choose in Control Panel.

It still believe Apple should return the choice of audio output to within the Maps app. This multi-step is not efficient, hence my calling it a workaround. BTW, Google Maps has full control of audio from within the app. See screenshots below:

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 3:58 PM in response to Ray C.

ChrisJ4203 and Ray C. are correct - I used the following sequence as a workaround. Go to the Map App in settings and click on Spoken Directions. Make sure that Directions on Radio is turned off. In the Map App, start directions for a destination. Go to Control Panel and click on the circle with the triangle at the bottom. Check iPhone. The audio prompts for the map will now come through the iPhone speaker, or whatever device you choose in Control Panel.

It still believe Apple should return the choice of audio output to within the Maps app. This multi-step is not efficient, hence my calling it a workaround. BTW, Google Maps has full control of audio from within the app. See screenshots below:

Oct 19, 2021 4:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don’t think you understand. I DO NOT want the directions to come over the radio. I WANT them to stay on the phone speaker. I checked the setting you suggested, and it is turned off, so spoken directions ‘should’ come through the phone speakers, not the car, but that is not the case. The spoken directions ONLY come through the phone speakers if I completely disable Bluetooth on the phone while driving. This is unacceptable since I then lose all other Bluetooth phone. functions.

Also, why would Apple bury that setting like that when it used to be accessible directly in the Maps app! Seems more like something Microsoft would do!

Dec 9, 2021 1:30 PM in response to DuWayneE

I, too, rely on Maps ability to route the audio to my hearing aids. Before IOS 15 it was easily accomplished by scrolling up from the bottom screen, while in Maps, and selecting audio to automobile, hearing aids, or iPhone. Now that ability is gone. The secondary problem is a delay when connection to Bluetooth is complete, cutting off the first few words from Maps. There are many of us hearing challenged who rely on the Bluetooth -hearing aid abilities while using Maps. Let’s pray Apple fixes this.

Dec 12, 2021 10:41 AM in response to DuWayneE

I updated my iPhone 7 to iOS 15 and tried to use Apple Maps for navigation. I typically direct the audio to the iPhone speaker and retain bluetooth connectivity to the car in order to make and receive phone calls while driving. This setup was "smart enough" to allow for this choice of audio options.

With the iOS update this setup is no longer possible as the user can no longer get to the detailed audio choices that were previously available within the map app. As far as I can tell the only way to direct audio to the phone speaker is to turn off bluetooth completely. This is unacceptable as this means disabling hands-free phone calls in the car.

This change is a distinct step backward in both convenience and safety. Can you please clarify and/or ask the iOS team to restore the audio controls from within the map app?

Oct 20, 2021 12:42 PM in response to DuWayneE

I understood you, however there was a little confusion in your question. I also was answering this based on the availability of information in iOS 15. I had an older iPhone 7 that I had to charge up so I could make some comparisons with my iPhone 13 Pro and iOS 15.0.2.

It would appear that the ability to make some additional settings changes to Maps is no longer available. I don't use my vehicle for audio, as I get information from my Watch when using the iPhone for navigation. While I was able to test audio with both devices in my vehicle, I could not locate the ability to choose between the phone and the vehicle, as was present in the iPhone 7 with iOS 12.3.1.

At this point, you can use the Get Support link at the top of the page here to contact Apple Support with your query. Or, you can use the feedback link to report the information to Apple, but that will not get you an individual response. The feedback link is iPhone - Apple

As far as why Apple would bury a setting, no one here would know, and speculation about Apple decisions on this forum is prohibited by the terms of use.

Dec 23, 2021 9:19 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The feature that used to be present to allow the user to direct the voice navigation to the iPhone speaker rather than Bluetooth is gone. This is not acceptable. Basically my phone is now silent unless I disable Bluetooth. Why would I want to do that??? I still want to receive call utilising the Bluetooth connectivity via the head unit.

This has made the iPhone inherently unsafe or useless.

is Google maps a better alternative?

Where did the audio selection go in Maps on iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.