Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung External SSD heating

Good morning,

a few days ago my external SSD (Samsung MU-PC500R) started to overheat (it's really hot to the touch) a few minutes after connecting it to my Macbook Air M1 (2021). He had never done that. It may be a matter of cable (I got a UGreen cable on Amazon because I needed one longer than the original, which I no longer have). Can it really be this?

Can anyone help me understand the nature of the problem? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 4:52 AM

Airnoth wrote:

Good morning,
a few days ago my external SSD (Samsung MU-PC500R) started to overheat (it's really hot to the touch) a few minutes after connecting it to my Macbook Air M1 (2021). He had never done that. It may be a matter of cable (I got a UGreen cable on Amazon because I needed one longer than the original, which I no longer have). Can it really be this?

They normally get quite warm regardless of the computer it is used on. If it is getting hotter than you think it should, return the SSD and get it replaced.

Also, the more data you are transferring back and forth, the warmer it will get.

Has nothing to do with the Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 4:52 AM in response to Airnoth

Airnoth wrote:

Good morning,

They normally get quite warm regardless of the computer it is used on. If it is getting hotter than you think it should, return the SSD and get it replaced.

Also, the more data you are transferring back and forth, the warmer it will get.

Has nothing to do with the Mac.

Samsung External SSD heating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.