Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to remove black bars on a video clip

Hello.

Please I have som clips with black bars on each side vertically not att the top or bottom.

I wonder if is a video or a correct explanation material how to remove them without ad blur on the side och any thing who may loose the original clip.

I have found a lot of material on YouTube ,but this clips are not from YouTube they are taking with my phone and afterI transfer and use the on my iMac.

I don't need to use it on YouTube or other media ,only in my iMac.

I just want to remove the B.Bars nothing else.

I appreciate very much any one who van help me thanks

Regards

C.A

I use iMac 2017 with macOS BigSur Version 11.6 and I have Imovie ,Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 to use it.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 10:03 AM

One cannot remove the black bars from the iMovie preview display of a vertical iPhone video. The iMovie display screen has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. So, if you display a vertical 9:16 clip from your iPhone, iMovie will insert black bars on each side to make it fit the 16:9 screen.

You can use the Crop to Fill setting from the crop feature to crop to a horizontal 16:9 clip to fit the screen. That would remove the black bars but would involve a rather radical crop and zoom of the vertical clip.

You can also use the cropping feature to rotate the vertical clip sideways. That would make it fit the screen although in a sideways orientation. Then you would export the clip or project to your desktop, open it in QuickTimePlayer, and do an Edit/Rotate Clip to turn it right side up again without black bars. However, if you import the corrected clip back into iMovie, it will display the black bars again in the Preview display.

Another way to eliminate the black bars is to export the vertical clip from iMovie to your desktop. Then use Command>Shift>5 to reveal a cropping control box at the bottom of your screen. Choose to make a screen recording of a selected portion of your clip to eliminate the black bars. In other words, outline just the movie part that is displaying, excluding the black bars.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 10:03 AM in response to flaz

One cannot remove the black bars from the iMovie preview display of a vertical iPhone video. The iMovie display screen has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio that cannot be changed. So, if you display a vertical 9:16 clip from your iPhone, iMovie will insert black bars on each side to make it fit the 16:9 screen.

You can use the Crop to Fill setting from the crop feature to crop to a horizontal 16:9 clip to fit the screen. That would remove the black bars but would involve a rather radical crop and zoom of the vertical clip.

You can also use the cropping feature to rotate the vertical clip sideways. That would make it fit the screen although in a sideways orientation. Then you would export the clip or project to your desktop, open it in QuickTimePlayer, and do an Edit/Rotate Clip to turn it right side up again without black bars. However, if you import the corrected clip back into iMovie, it will display the black bars again in the Preview display.

Another way to eliminate the black bars is to export the vertical clip from iMovie to your desktop. Then use Command>Shift>5 to reveal a cropping control box at the bottom of your screen. Choose to make a screen recording of a selected portion of your clip to eliminate the black bars. In other words, outline just the movie part that is displaying, excluding the black bars.

-- Rich

how to remove black bars on a video clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.