Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages showing up under wrong contact

Basically, on my iPhone and my main Mac, messages from my wife going back to 2017 for some reason are showing up as messages from my son, i.e., as messages under his name, not hers. 

The thing is, they’re under the right contact on my iPad and MacBook.

in the iPhone settings, under storage/messages/top conversations, my wife isn’t even on the list, but my son is at the top for occupied storage space. However on my iPad, my wife is at the top, with about the same amount of storage space used as my phone says my son uses. Which makes sense, since her messages are under his name.

And before anyone asks, I checked in settings under iCloud, and Messages is selected in each device, so it’s not like Messages isn’t getting updated.

I suppose as problems go, there are worse ones, but I’d like to know what’s causing this and how to fix it all the same. Any ideas on either of those? Thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 7:54 AM

For anyone who happens across this message, I solved it. For some reason, my wife’s phone number ended up being listed as my sons under his contact card, which apparently was enough to get her messages transferred to him. Removing that phone number and re-identifying it under her contact as an iPhone put her messages back where they belong.

so, if anyone else ever runs into this sort of problem, this is probably the solution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Brett Feinblatt

For anyone who happens across this message, I solved it. For some reason, my wife’s phone number ended up being listed as my sons under his contact card, which apparently was enough to get her messages transferred to him. Removing that phone number and re-identifying it under her contact as an iPhone put her messages back where they belong.

so, if anyone else ever runs into this sort of problem, this is probably the solution.

Messages showing up under wrong contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.