Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant freezes on iPad while doing whatever

I'm really getting frustrated by this happening all the time. I bought this iPad Pro 12.9" back in 2016 i think, it's a 2nd Gen. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, it could be while using Procreate or other drawing apps, or even reading a PDF and swapping on pages.

All of a sudden the screen becomes COMPLETELY unresponsive and freezes for 5-7 seconds. Then comes back. Now... this happens at least every 2-3 minutes. It becomes really unusable. I don't know what you guys added to the iPadOS during these years but something is really messed up. This didn't happen before in old versions.

Now after searching about this issue, seems to be a problem for a lot of people already, even on newest 2020/2021 iPads that are just out of the box. So what's going on!? Can you provide a real solution? This is supposed to be a premium product and I can't stand it anymore, imagine you're trying to draw something and every 2-3 minutes while zooming in-out you get stuck for 5-7 seconds average, sometimes even more. The worst user experience ever, right?

It's a 64GB iPad Pro with at least 45-50GB left on disk, i only use it for drawing most of the times. I got it updated to the latest iPadOS version as posible (15.0.2). Model Number: MQDA2CL/A.

Restarted device many times, no background apps running, , did all i could find on the internet about trying to solve this, nothing works. Lucky me my Coverage expired, yay!

So what's next? Toss it into the garbage? Because someone may say: "Yea sell it"... how am I supposed to sell THIS to anyone? How am going to feel about selling something that is malfunctioning all the time?

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 8:12 PM

msqar Said:

"Constant freezes on iPad while doing whatever: I'm really getting frustrated by this happening all the time. I bought this iPad Pro 12.9" back in 2016 i think, it's a 2nd Gen. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, it could be while using Procreate or other drawing apps, or even reading a PDF and swapping on pages."

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Power:

A. Try what is on these Links:

B. Good Reason to Upgrade:

If non-recoverable, being that your device's model it obsolete (iPad 2), take this as a good reason to upgrade to a much more recent device.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 8:12 PM in response to msqar

msqar Said:

"Constant freezes on iPad while doing whatever: I'm really getting frustrated by this happening all the time. I bought this iPad Pro 12.9" back in 2016 i think, it's a 2nd Gen. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, it could be while using Procreate or other drawing apps, or even reading a PDF and swapping on pages."

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Power:

A. Try what is on these Links:

B. Good Reason to Upgrade:

If non-recoverable, being that your device's model it obsolete (iPad 2), take this as a good reason to upgrade to a much more recent device.

Oct 22, 2021 5:38 PM in response to msqar

I feel your pain on this issue, but there is really nothing to be done about this issue.

The intermittent, unresponsive touchscreen issues with higher priced, larger screen iPad Pro and iPad Air models are a well known and well documented, here, in the iPad support communities.

This affects a still small, but continually growing minority of random 2017 through present iPad Pro and iPad Air models and its user base.

Now, after 3 years of this nonsense, there is still no confirmed cause and fix/solution from Apple.

NONE!

Getting one of these defective units is reslly very random and is ONLY one of a small handful of issues going on with higher priced, larger screen iPad models that has prevented me from purchasing a new iPad Pro or new iPad Air for the past 2-3 years.

( I have two older 2015/2016 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro that do not have this issue, but one of them, the battery life is down to only around 4-5 hiours and that is it.

My other 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro is still getting between 6-7 hours, and that is it!

Both of these iPad will be 6-years old very soon!

Apple and Apple support have no real fixes or solutions to this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue.

If you have a screen protector on this iPad Pro, remove it as the screen protector makes the touch screen and Pencil experiences worse.

There is absolutely no solution/s to these later iPad Pro/iPad Air touch screen issues.

Apple support can only offer superficial, “band-aid” bandage-like advice/fixes/solutions.

You can contact Apple support, but your iPad Pro/later iPad Air model maybe too old for Apple to offer any type of free or in-warranty iPad replacement and Apple will ONLY offer “band-aid“-like advice/fixes/solutions to this issue.

Apple support is pretty much clueless to this issue and Apple, itself, has never, publicly, acknowledged this issue or issued any type of device recalls.

This is something you probably didn't want to learn, but doesn't change any of the currently known facts.

Apple really does nothing to truly address this issue.

So Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Oct 22, 2021 7:32 PM in response to msqar

msqar wrote:

Steve Jobs please come back!

Really....

Mr. Jobs is NOT God.

A little hard for the man to come back when he has been dead/deceased for 10 years.

“Gimme a break”!

Let's get real here.

Mr.Jobs has had his share of okay-ing products wih problems while running Apple during his lifetime.

Remember?

Mr. Jobs lost his company for 10 years!

The hockey puck mice with iMacs?

The office executive, high priced, 2004 PowerMac G4 Cube? How about the earlier, high priced, 25th anniversary Power Mac?

Mr.Jobs never approving a properly designed calculator app for iPad and, to date, because he never approved a special iPad designed calculator app, this has been a permanent ommission from iPads, ever since, with NO priority from Apple to ever develop one, today!

As a result, we have a WHOLE third party cottage industry of very nicely designed, free and paid calculator apps, now, to choose from, fully taking the priority and responsibility away from Apple entirely.

iPhone AntennaGate?

How about NO stylus for iPads?

To paraphrase.

“Who needs or wants a stylus? No place to keep them. You lose them? Who wants that! Yuck!”

“Styluses are out!”

We now have Pencil ( yes, a stylus ) for every new model iPad in existence, as well as a plethora of third party stylii for ALL iPads old AND new.

No one is perfect.

Mr. Jobs was NOT perfect and NO company/corporation is perfect.

Nothing and NO living thing on this planet is perfect.

So, there you go.

Oct 22, 2021 8:08 PM in response to msqar

msqar wrote:

And no, btw, i don't have screen protector. Imagine if I had any, it would be even worse than this. It's such a struggle to work this way i literally can't stand it anymore. I tolerate it for like 2 years now, not anymore.

This issue is the ONLY single reason that I have been sooooo hesitant to even consider a future purchase of another brand new and expensive iPad Pro model.

It is basically because of the sheer randomness of this issue and with Apple, apparently NOT interested in really exploring/researching and pinnng down the cause/s of this intermittent/unresponsive touch screen issue, this has given me real pause to give Apple more of my seriously hard earned money on another expensive iPad Pro that could get a possible and serious, everyday UI touch control issue as this!

There is a chance, that because if the very random nature of this issue, the result of this could, possibly, be an issue with all of the actual and various overseas manufacuring/building processes involved with mass manufacturing these devices.

This is juat pure speculation on my part, since it seems Apple cannot find a design reason/fault for this issue in their own design and engineering specs or their own preliminary and later working prototype units, but a random manufacturing issue/glitch could explain the high randomness of this issue and why NO discovery of a design/technicsl/engineering issue with NO solution/s in over three years.

Again, as a I do not work for Apple in any way, but as a former employee in all sorts of various engineering disciplines and as a industrial, packaging and graphics design professional, this could be a possibility.

Nothing we imperfect humans dream up, design amd make is 100% perfect.

There is always a percentage of any item or product that doesn't pass muster.

There is always a range of pass/fail percentage ranges and +/- tolarance ranges for any given item we design, make and sell to world population, at large.

Anything we imperfact humans dream up, make and design CAN and DOES fail at any time for any reason.

Whether those reasons are known, or not.

Sorry, but this issue could happen in any touch screen device made by anyone. Not just Apple.

I got nothing else to offer about this issue or topic, but simply we imperfect humans live in an imperfect world, living imperfect lives. Stuff happens. Regardless of what the costs are.

Sorry.

Oct 22, 2021 8:01 PM in response to MichelPM

Of course Jobs wasn't a God, but at least I feel Apple products were better before than what they are now, excluding some of the things you mention.

How is it possible that this issue has not been addressed for more than 2 years now? And that even some iPhones are having the same problem. We are not talking about cheap devices. Sorry but i'm really upset with this.

Oct 22, 2021 8:42 PM in response to TheLittles

FYI for your future reference.

OP has an iPad Pro.

Nothing Apple suggests for this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue is a REAL fix.

Apple support solutions are just superficial, “bandages” to a very real and VERY problematic device operational issue.

I have been THE ONLY ONE here for over 3 years, now, replying to every single posting of these much more expensive, larger screen iPad models developing this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issues over time.

The ONLY ONE that has been regularly responding to every single posting on this issue.

Nothing Apple suggests has fixed OR solved this issue in over 3-years!

This issue has just been too random accross many years and models of larger screen iPads for Apple to pin down the reasons/causes for this highly random touch screen UI issue.

Apple has NOT had any real fixes or solutions to this vexxing and random touch screen problem.

None.

Oct 23, 2021 6:36 AM in response to msqar

Update: After using it for a few hours yesterday, still happens but noticed a significant improvement. Maybe the cover's magnet does something to the touchscreen? Don't know, but at least it helped a little. Now it may happen from time to time, like every 15min. I will try factory reset today + no cover and see if it helps even more.

Dec 7, 2021 6:50 AM in response to erwin201

Exactly. I swear I want to punch my iPad's screen so bad. I'm doing some NFT collection right now, and is getting IMPOSSIBLE to tolerate it. And Apple doesn't even care!

"Hey I found a solution for you. BUY A NEW IPAD!" HEEEY WHY DIDN'T I THINK ABOUT IT!?!?! I JUST NEED 800 USD!!! YAY. The stores nearby home say: "AHhh nope, your iPad is 'too old' (2017 too old okay dude) to be able to fix it, so u need to probably buy a new one". After soooo many calls with support from US and Argentina, I don't really know what else to try but to use my iPad as a frisbee and never use it again.

It's obvious this "update" to malfunction was done on purpose and ofc, they force you to buy a new one. They did this before with iPhones so, why wouldn't they do it with other devices? I'm literally sick.

Constant freezes on iPad while doing whatever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.