Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant non-apple applications

I recently bought an M1 Mac Air, and used migration assistant to transfer my data from a Time Machine backup of my old iMac. After working with my MacAir for a short while, it became evident that Migration had not brought over any of my non-Apple applications. Why is this and how can I get the rest of my apps?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 9:52 PM

Thanks for your help Barney. I finally tried running Migration Assistant again, just checking "Applications." It took about twenty two hours, but it worked! IL now have all my applications back, and Keychain seems to work too.

11 replies

Oct 22, 2021 8:27 PM in response to Barney-15E

I really don't know if they're compatible. I was using High Sierra on my iMac. I know that several of my applications had released versions that were incompatible with Hight Sierra, but I hadn't downloaded them. I didn't think I could. How can I tell if an application is compatible with Big Sur? Migration Assistant listed a few things it hadn't restored, but my apps weren't among them. If it didn't restore my apps, what was it doing for eighteen hours?

migration assistant non-apple applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.