Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation not connecting to ipad!

Hello, my Apple Pencil 1st Generation isn’t connecting to my IPad 8th Generation, I have tried plugging the end into my iPads charging socket to charge it, however it wont even connect through Bluetooth. I have had it for roughly 6 months now, without any issues, however today it cannot even be connected to my iPad; my iPad can’t even find it to pair on Bluetooth (under ‘other devices’) I have not got a lighting connector, is there any possible way to fix it without a lighting connector? (I will buy one if that’s necessary)

Please help!

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 9:48 AM

Hopefully, this will help

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236

If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

For an Apple Pencil (1st generation), remove the cap and plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector onyour iPad. Restart your iPad, then try to pair again. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 9:48 AM in response to MaddieRedd

Hopefully, this will help

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236

If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

For an Apple Pencil (1st generation), remove the cap and plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector onyour iPad. Restart your iPad, then try to pair again. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.

Oct 25, 2021 9:23 AM in response to MaddieRedd

A first generation Apple Pencil can only be used with compatible models of iPad that feature a Lightning port - as is this connection that triggers/manages the Bluetooth pairing process.

Here is the definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

The tags appended to your post suggest that your have an iPad Air. The Air1 does not support Apple Pencil - as this model lacks the specific screen hardware with which the Pencil interacts with iPad. You also mention iPad8 - which is compatible with the first generation Apple Pencil.

Assuming that you have an Apple Pencil that is compatible with your iPad, this support page may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may now be irretrievably damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Some reports suggest that gentle warming of the Pencil (such as a hot water radiator) prior to attempting charging of the Pencil can resurrect a Pencil battery.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation not connecting to ipad!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.