Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy a hyperlink to a specific email in Mac Mail?

I would like to be able to copy a hyperlink to a specific email in Mac Mail that I can then use in another app to open the email from that app. I can drag an email into the Notes app and then copy the link from that note and paste it into another app, but surely there is a more direct way to do this? I have tried dragging the email into other non-Apple apps with limited success. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 6:27 PM

I appreciate the response but that's not my question, I know how to do that. What I want to do is the opposite. Take an email I have received in Mac Mail, create a link to it that I then can paste into an app other than Mac Mail (say a todo app). I would then be able to click on the link in the other app and open the specified email in Mac Mail. It is possible to do this from Apple Notes and I can even copy the link from Apple Notes into still another app. I can then click on that link and open the email in Mac Mail. I am simply looking for a more direct way of accomplishing this.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2021 6:27 PM in response to Lanny

I appreciate the response but that's not my question, I know how to do that. What I want to do is the opposite. Take an email I have received in Mac Mail, create a link to it that I then can paste into an app other than Mac Mail (say a todo app). I would then be able to click on the link in the other app and open the specified email in Mac Mail. It is possible to do this from Apple Notes and I can even copy the link from Apple Notes into still another app. I can then click on that link and open the email in Mac Mail. I am simply looking for a more direct way of accomplishing this.

Oct 25, 2021 8:04 PM in response to Elwood1229

I have no idea how you would use this in your other apps, but this automator workflow will get the selected message and create the link text as is created in Notes and put it on the clipboard.

You could create it as a Quick Action taking no input in any application. Then, create a shortcut for the Quick Action.

Text for the actions:

on run {input, parameters}
	tell application "Mail" to set rawSource to source of (item 1 of (input as list))
	return rawSource
end run

echo $@ | awk -F: '/Message-ID: /{print "message:"$2}' | sed -e 's/</%3C/' -e 's/>/%3E/' | pbcopy

How can I copy a hyperlink to a specific email in Mac Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.