Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies not playing on my laptop

I rented a few movies on the TV app to watch on my laptop, and when I try to play one I get the error message "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)"

I've played tons of rented movies on the TV app before, probably over a hundred, but now this one isn't working. I tried deleting from the library and redownloading, I tried restarting my computer, nothing works. And now the rental period is about to go out and my money is wasted.

Also when I look this problem up, no one seems to have a working solution.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 2:28 AM

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)"

Using the original, unaltered, built-in screen, the HDCP chain would be fully supported. Using external screens, adapters, etc. could break the HDCP secure connection.

Using screen mirroring, screen capture, screen recording, remote desktop, screen sharing, could disable HDCP. Turn that off or disable it.

Try without any connected peripherals (that might be seen as HDCP compromising). Especially Thunderbolt/USB-C devices.

Else your Mac might be in error, and some Mac troubleshooting is in order.

- Start up in safe mode to see if that goes better.

- Start up in another Mac user account to see if that goes better.

And now the rental period is about to go out and my money is wasted.

Ask the iTunes Store staff for assistance.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 2:28 AM in response to rfi7zgerald

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)"

Using the original, unaltered, built-in screen, the HDCP chain would be fully supported. Using external screens, adapters, etc. could break the HDCP secure connection.

Using screen mirroring, screen capture, screen recording, remote desktop, screen sharing, could disable HDCP. Turn that off or disable it.

Try without any connected peripherals (that might be seen as HDCP compromising). Especially Thunderbolt/USB-C devices.

Else your Mac might be in error, and some Mac troubleshooting is in order.

- Start up in safe mode to see if that goes better.

- Start up in another Mac user account to see if that goes better.

And now the rental period is about to go out and my money is wasted.

Ask the iTunes Store staff for assistance.

Movies not playing on my laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.