Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad misses first tap after upgrade to Monterey

After upgrading to Monterey (12.0.1 (21A559) ), using tap (tap to click is activated in trackpad) the first time does nothing. I always need to tap a second time to click/choose something/get in another tab inside my browser etc.

This happens in every program I tried.

Rebooting the machine ( macbook pro 16", 2019) several times didn't bring anything.

I hope this gets fixed in the first update because it's really annoying.

P.S.: Using macbooks and their OSs for more than a decade, this is the first time I had the slightest problem with their -so far- perfectly working trackpad..

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 10:31 AM

AdamApple69 wrote:

After upgrading to Monterey (12.0.1 (21A559) ), using tap (tap to click is activated in trackpad) the first time does nothing. I always need to tap a second time to click/choose something/get in another tab inside my browser etc.
Rebooting the machine ( macbook pro 16", 2019) several times didn't bring anything.

P.S.: Using macbooks and their OSs for more than a decade, this is the first time I had the slightest problem with their -so far- perfectly working trackpad..

You can ty making changes to your Trackpad preferences

>System Preferences>Trackpad

Change how your trackpad works with Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-way-your-trackpad-works-mchlp1226/mac

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-mouse-trackpad-preferences-unac899/mac

file a bug report— http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 10:31 AM in response to AdamApple69

AdamApple69 wrote:

You can ty making changes to your Trackpad preferences

>System Preferences>Trackpad

Change how your trackpad works with Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-way-your-trackpad-works-mchlp1226/mac

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-mouse-trackpad-preferences-unac899/mac

file a bug report— http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 26, 2021 9:33 AM in response to AdamApple69

Repetitive motion is as a health issue. Full stop

—this bug in macOS 12.0.1 is basically doubling the workload and is an infuriating bug and hardly acceptable by any standard.

Causes errors in the workflow, having to back track and click again, and can lead to damage of the trackpad when you beat on it out of frustration trying to get it to register your click.

Setting >SystemPreferences>Trackpad>Tap to click to "light" for the tap to click—does no good

Use trackpad and mouse gestures on Mac - Apple Support

Filing a bug report is the best you can do, unless you decide to fall back to a macOS previous to Monterey.

Feedback/bug report: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Oct 30, 2021 5:26 AM in response to AdamApple69

Same here. MBP 15" 2019. Never had this issue before.

Since I installed Monterey my trackpad seems to miss many "Tap to Click" inputs and it's very annoying.

I don't know if the problem is actually caused by this but it seems to not register a tap as a click if the finger moves during tap, even a little.

Maybe the movement threshold is too small now and misinterpreted as false negative.

Nov 13, 2021 11:54 AM in response to AdamApple69

I have the Mac Air M1, just one month old and I too have the same issue and I assumed that I have a faulty trackpad but it all started after Monterey upgrade, intermittently it misses taps and it's very frustrating when you are sitting and doing video editing for 4-5 hours.

I also noticed that at the extreme sides, the trackpad doesn't click properly, I checked other Mac Air and the issue seems to be universal.

Nov 17, 2021 8:26 AM in response to AdamApple69

I think I have the same issue and seem to have located the root cause and a way to make improvements.

Monterey changed the Click sensitivity of my Magic Trackpad making it less sensitive (This can manifest in "missing clicks"). You can almost readjust the sensitivity to what it was prior to Monterey by going into "System Preferences/Trackpad" and adjusting "Click" to a more "Light" setting. Unfortunately the lightest setting is not as light as it used to be. Before Monterey I was using the lightest setting and that worked well for me and my Magic Trackpad. After updating to Monterey the Trackpad Click setting had been changed to "Medium" which did not suit me and my trackpad. I changed the "Click" setting back to my previous "Light" setting and Click performance improved but still not good enough and not the same as pre Monterey.

I'm not impressed by this change to the Trackpad user interface introduced by Monterey.

Note to Apple: At first I thought my Magic Trackpad was malfunctioning. I was so annoyed I almost took it apart to try and fix it. Fortunately I cooled down enough to sensibly associate the problem with Monterey before the trackpad was in pieces. I want Apple to expand the range of click sensitivity back to what it was and maybe even make it larger. Then inform the software analyst/designer and programmer of the fiasco they caused. You could also let the user interface people know that some users prefer very light Click sensitivity when using a Magic Trackpad. I'm not a happy camper you broke something that was working almost perfectly.

Nov 17, 2021 9:30 AM in response to rvebob

I forgot to mention in my reply above to the Click problem with the Trackpad and Monterey.

Apple: Please give a shoutout to the guys/gals that originally developed the Trackpads and associated software. It's by far the best trackpad I have ever used and it's the only one thats good enough (I could use a bigger surface area). This trackpad is the product that convinced me to migrate to Apple products from the wasteland. It has made a huge improvement to my user experience when using a computer.

Apple: I have been patiently waiting for fifteen years for the day when I can have only one computer to learn and maintain. And that will be my phone, wirelessly connected to my TV and then relegated to act as a trackpad. Does anyone realize that we then will not need reading glasses. Oh and by the way all TV's should have the same internal computer and it should also act as the household computer and it should be produced and maintained by organizations such as Apple.

Nov 17, 2021 10:26 AM in response to AdamApple69

Yup, same here. At first I thought it was just me, but realized I wasn't crazy when I found this thread. It's extremely annoying, and I agree with others here that the change was totally unnecessary. I did adjust in System Preferences, but it's not where it used to be, before Monterey. I'm wondering if there might be a terminal hack for it (like with repeat rate)???

EDIT: Actually, I'm now with others who believe it's a bug... doesn't seem consistent, and doesn't seem to be affected by how hard/soft I tap.

Nov 17, 2021 4:06 PM in response to wheetabix

I don't suppose there's anybody here on 12.0? I don't remember experiencing this when I first got my machine, which shipped with 12.0. Just curious, really, since I know we can't get back to that version... (And no, I can't actually revert to the original version through Restore... weird...)

I wonder if this is something to do with Universal Control—it does have to do with basic interaction, so I could see it maybe creating issues.

Dec 3, 2021 6:25 AM in response to wheetabix

"I've also noticed that occasionally the mouse/pointer jumps to a different location"

Yup.

This happened many years ago, but was fixed. Now it's made a comeback.

I'm also suffering from the infuriating 'missed taps'. I've set the sensitivity to Click - Light, which has perhaps helped, but not that much.

I've also found that selecting text, in some apps, has become incredibly difficult. Ironically, in html it's ok. Perhaps they've decided that's the future? In Filemaker for example, it has become incredibly difficult, just to select a line of text. I have to start from the left. Impossible from the right.

Trackpad misses first tap after upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.