Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal Clipboard doesn't work on Monterey

How to solve the universal Clipboard ( copy/past between devices) on the new version of the macOS Monterey. I use to cut text or picture on macbook pro and paste on my iPad notes on the previous version but now with Monterey it not working.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 2:38 AM

28 replies

Oct 28, 2021 6:35 AM in response to Carlitche

Hi Carlitche,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you're unable to use Universal Clipboard. Be sure all devices are running the latest software version and you have all settings enabled as mentioned in Use Universal Clipboard to copy and paste between your Apple devices. Also, make sure all devices are using the same language.

You can check language preferences on iPadOS in Settings > General > Language & Region. From your Mac, go to System Preferences > Language & Region.

Regards.

Oct 28, 2021 3:09 PM in response to Carlitche

Carlitche,

Many apologies for the oversight. Universal Clipboard is available in previous macOS versions (macOS Sierra or later), but it is not currently available for macOS Monterey. This feature will become available later on this fall. You can find more details on currently available features and what will be available at a later time in the new macOS on Apple's macOS Monterey page.

Regards.

Dec 1, 2021 11:54 PM in response to ayamiharu

Sorry to here that because it worked for me.

Seems like there’s no one size fits all! I’d call Apple Care direct. Pretty sure if it’s a fault on their part, which it is, they should be obligated to sort it.

Technology frustration, is the worst!

This is the only link they sent me: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209460

Good luck, friend!

Nov 26, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Carlitche

I would agree that this definitely seems like a problem introduced with macOS Monterey.

I have 6 devices:

• iPhone 11
  • iPad Air 2
  • 2016 MacBook Pro running Big Sur
  • 2019 iMac running Big Sur
  • 2021 MacBook Pro M1 running Monterey
  • 2021 iMac M1 running Monterey

The only two devices not working correctly with Universal Clipboard are the two computers running Monterey. I have triple-checked bluetooth, wi-fi, iCloud, Handoff and language settings on these computers. They are all fine.

One thing to note: I migrated my older MBP and iMac computers to the newer 2021 models. So that might be a factor in reproducing the problem.

Dec 1, 2021 4:24 AM in response to Carlitche

Hi Guys,

this issue was quickly resolved for me after I called Apple Care. Follow the instructions below.

After the Monterey update

1. Make sure all devices are on wifi
  2. make sure bluetooth is switched on all devices
  3. (the most important) on your iPhone/iPad settings/general/airplay&handoff/swtich on "handoff"
  4. (the most important) on your MacBookPro Settings/General/then at the very bottom of this screen check, "allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices."

If Universal Clipboard is not working and you 'have not' updated to Montery

1. make sure that all devices are running on the same up-to-date versions/updates

Oct 30, 2021 7:33 AM in response to Carlitche

Universal clipboard stopped running since previous version (before Monterey). I don't why but I suppose its because M1 chip issues. Some update in Mac OS for these chips maybe caused that. I have MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel chip) and still doesn't work even when I updated to Monterey also. Support Team, just open a bug ticket for Dev Team ASAP!!

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Carlitche

Try restarting your computer. These kinds of data sharing features simply don't work reliably and never have. It sounds like you may have simply had a long run of stable systems and/or good luck. Now, you made a change by installing Monterey, and the feature is behaving more normally.

I have found a number of bugs in Monterey (but certainly not all of them) that resolve themselves after a restart.

Dec 1, 2021 4:24 AM in response to Larry Daniele

This might help, as mentioned above...

Hi Guys,

this issue was quickly resolved for me after I called Apple Care. Follow the instructions below.

After the Monterey update

Make sure all devices are on wifi

make sure bluetooth is switched on all devices

(the most important) on your iPhone/iPad settings/general/airplay&handoff/swtich on "handoff"

(the most important) on your MacBookPro Settings/General/then at the very bottom of this screen check, "allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices."

If Universal Clipboard is not working and you 'have not' updated to Montery

make sure that all devices are running on the same up-to-date versions/updates

Jan 3, 2022 11:12 PM in response to Carlitche

Unfortunately for me, the problem has not been solved with the 12.1 Monterrey update. My iPhone 2020 SE and iPad 9th generation are both running the latest software, 15.2. They both can use Universal Clipboard between each other, but my M1 Mac mini cannot copy to either device via Universal Clipboard. Sometimes it can receive pastes from the iPhone and iPad though.

It’s very frustrating. I tried all possible solutions listed here as well as Terminal commands to reset the clipboard and clear its contents. No luck.

Universal Clipboard doesn't work on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.