Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peripheral issue - Mac now treating foot pedal as a mouse

Since the Monterey update, when I press the play/stop button on my transcription foot pedal, it brings up a contextual menu, as though the system is now treating it as right mouse click. This just destroys my workflow.

I have spent all morning on with Apple support, and they are sending the report to the engineers to see what they can diagnose.

This happens without the transcription software running, and the pedal has no driver, it is plug and play, so there are apparently no settings I can adjust to fix this behaviour.

Downgrading back to Big Sur is not a great option as it means wiping the computer so I can first reinstall El Capitan (which it shipped with), and then installing Big Sur. Not loving the idea of wiping the system as I don't quite trust that all my work will be safe on backups. It may end up being the only option if there is no fix for this in an OS patch. I can't imagine anything is going to get fixed quickly, whatever the cause.

I share this only in case someone else has stumbled into something similar and found a simple, painless solution.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 11:55 AM

I just spoke to a representative from VEC Electronics who confirmed that the issue of the MAC recognizing the foot pedal as a mouse is rectified by the Infinity 3 foot pedal. He explained to me that it is a matter of an upgraded chip in the 3 compared to the 2 that solves the problem. The only glitch is that the chips that are in the 3 are being impacted by supply issues. In order for them to meet demand they did furnish some Infinity 3 with the former chip, which will work just fine on PCs. He offered a way to tell if you are getting the new chip that is needed for our MAC computers. If you order the Infinity 3 MAKE SURE that it is marked as "A" and you'll know it has the right chip in it. If marked with a "B" then that is the older chip they are using. They are just starting to mail these out now, so just be sure, or you will have the same problem with the 3. Just wanted to pass along that info to further save us all a huge headache again.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 11:55 AM in response to mbmendo

I just spoke to a representative from VEC Electronics who confirmed that the issue of the MAC recognizing the foot pedal as a mouse is rectified by the Infinity 3 foot pedal. He explained to me that it is a matter of an upgraded chip in the 3 compared to the 2 that solves the problem. The only glitch is that the chips that are in the 3 are being impacted by supply issues. In order for them to meet demand they did furnish some Infinity 3 with the former chip, which will work just fine on PCs. He offered a way to tell if you are getting the new chip that is needed for our MAC computers. If you order the Infinity 3 MAKE SURE that it is marked as "A" and you'll know it has the right chip in it. If marked with a "B" then that is the older chip they are using. They are just starting to mail these out now, so just be sure, or you will have the same problem with the 3. Just wanted to pass along that info to further save us all a huge headache again.

Nov 25, 2021 1:23 AM in response to mbmendo

I found a not (not very great) workaround: While using the pedal, the mousepointer has to placed on a window, that doesn't allow rightclicks. E. g. the software used here with the pedal has a menu window for the footpedal where rightclicks have no effects and no contextual menu appears.

So as long you don't use the mouse to navigate in your text and remember to put the mousepointer in a corner of the screen where the menu window is open when you start playback it... just works. 🤨

Jan 13, 2022 5:50 AM in response to mbmendo

I have the same problem exactly. Someone from Express Scribe help asked me if I have Infinity USB-2, which I do. That person said if I purchase Infinity USB-3 that will solve the problem. I have ordered it, and if it works, I will come back and post here. In the meantime, has anyone else found a different solution?

Oct 27, 2021 7:59 AM in response to mbmendo

I hope you get this fixed, but while you'd have to wipe the drive to install Big Sur, you would NOT have to go all the way back to El Capitan.

You can download Big Sur, using Safari, from this site:

Then make a bootable installer on a thumb drive, and use that to boot your mac, run Disk Utility, erase the drive, install and then migrate your accounts.

Still a nuisance, still something to avoid if possible, but still a bit less than going back to EC, and less opportunity for stuff to break.

Nov 4, 2021 5:48 AM in response to MattDerby

Same pedal. Apple told me it was either the software or the hardware drivers. But as you may have noticed, this problem occurs without the software being active, and the pedal has no driver or settings. It seems unavoidable that this is an OS problem. I was promised an investigation and two different supervisors assured me they would call back to continue trying to sort this out, but neither called back.

I could find no workaround. I just have to keep clicking the actual mouse to get rid of the menu. It is incredibly disruptive to my workflow. If you find a solution please post it here, and I will do likewise.

Nov 7, 2021 4:19 AM in response to MattDerby

I have the same foot pedal. I reached out to the manufacturer before finding this forum and they indicated that it is an Apple issue and there probably is not foot pedal to support the Monterey OS as it is so new. I've had to revert back to my Windows computer to complete the work I have. I find it frustrating as I've put all this money into a brand spanking new Mac desktop computer and I can't use it for what I purchased it for.

Nov 7, 2021 4:26 AM in response to Teamster079

I find this baffling - undoubtedly due to my complete lack of technical knowledge on this subject - but surely all a pedal can possibly be is a binary switch. Its only job is to switch things on or off, so why would a simple switch cause this kind of issue?

Right now I either have to continually click the menus off - which totally breaks my flow (which involves using the mac dictation), or else use my old MBP which cannot upgrade to Monterey. But the whole point of the iMac is to give me real space to work.

It still seems like this is an Apple problem. It just does not seem like it should be this big a problem.

Nov 8, 2021 6:58 AM in response to mbmendo

VEC told me:

"Yes I have received several inquiries about this, it seems that the update to Mac OS Monterey is in direct conflict to the data that the IN-USB-2 sends. I cannot change the data that the pedal sends and if we were to then the pedal would not communicate with your transcription program. I have been told that the issue does not exist when using the new INFINITY-3 USB but I have not confirmed this.

What transcription software are you using and is your pedal the IN-USB-2 Ver.14?"

*I will update this thread with more from VEC.

Nov 8, 2021 10:10 AM in response to mbmendo

This is the exact wording I received from VEC. VEC also added this:

"I have heard that this issue will not occur with the new INFINITY-3USB, I am trying to confirm this and will let you know

Another user reported this,

However, the issue seems to be with the whole OS system as I get a 'right click' function when I press the central pedal even if I'm just on Firefox or the Mac Finder. Thankfully in the meantime I have a bit of a workaround, as I also have the virtual Windows software 'Parallels' and the pedal is happily communicating as normal through that."

Nov 9, 2021 10:52 AM in response to mbmendo

Latest update from Jim at VEC:

"I have confirmation that the issue is resolved when using the INFINITY-3 USB.

It’s impossible to say what will happen in the future but in all of the years we have been providing pedals this is a first."

I have ordered a new pedal and will test and update this thread. Fingers crossed this works.

Nov 10, 2021 3:43 PM in response to mbmendo

Thank you so much for this post! I just upgraded and the same happened to me. I called apple and they told me the same thing, that I had to call pedal company. But I had not found this post or I would have pointed out that it's not the pedal, but the upgrade. I am also using an Infinity Ver.14, so please let me know if the Infinity 3 USB version helps. Thanks so much!

Nov 11, 2021 5:02 AM in response to Sneakyninja

I have just tried out the USB-3 Infinity pedal and can confirm that it works with Express Scribe 9.22 on Monterey 12.0.1

Though for some reason, even with feet nowhere near the pedal, the audio keeps apparently autoplaying after a timeout of a minute or so.

I prefer the design of the mk2, as the mk3 has a lower profile on the side pedals which means unwanted presses.

But at least I can get back to work :) I hope people have found this thread useful. I certainly have, so thanks for all the contributions.

Peripheral issue - Mac now treating foot pedal as a mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.