Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Download a Digital Booklet from iTunes Store on Mac Music

I have purchased music in the iTunes Store, but I can't download the digital booklet that comes with this "Deluxe Version" of this iTunes LP:

Options on the context menu are to Share or Copy a link. But the link, pasted into a web browser, just goes back to the iTunes store. There is no way to download this item.

In Music app on macOS, ...

Selecting "Download" from the Music context menu for the digital booklet silently does nothing.

Double clicking the item in Music also silently does nothing.

Quiting out of Music, then reopening it and double clicking on the digital booklet item starts a download, which proceeds very very slowly, taking more time than it took to download the entire album's music files. When downloading completes, the digital booklet items shows a red "!" in the left column:

Double clicking the item, after downloading completes and with the "!" shown, causes the following error to be displayed:

Clicking "Locate" brings up a standard Finder browser dialog, but with no idea where to look for this file. I hunted through my Music folder and sub-folders. Music Videos are downloaded into the "Downloaded" items sub-folder, but with temporary names. The digital booklet is not there.

A full search of the HD for any file added today does not find anything. I have no idea where Music thinks it downloaded this file, and neither does Music! Nothing within the Music album song list has changed. Quit Music and restart, and we are back to the beginning.

Attempting to "Delete from Library" warns that it will be hidden from Purchases. So that's not an option. How to access the "Deluxe" content that came with this deluxe purchase?

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 9:00 AM

Digging in further, it seems each time I try to Download the "digital booklet," iTunes downloads an MPEG-4 video (with filename extension ".m4v"). So the Deluxe content for this album is not a digital booklet; it's a video. However, the video goes into "Downloads-Music," a sub-folder within the Media sub-folder within the Music folder:

Music->Media->Downloads-Music->album name->album name.tmp->download.m4v:

So when double clicking the digital booklet item within Music, and when the error dialog opens, clicking Locate and pointing the Finder to the "download.m4v" item within the temporary folder allows the item to be found.

For completeness, I used File->Library->Organize Library... to ensure the item was relocated to wherever it belongs.

Now, opening the item in the album track list causes the video interview (aka the digital booklet) to play. And the item is properly identified now as a video (with a small video icon, just like music videos). Selecting Get Info... from the track menu and selecting the File tab, shows the video has been relocated to the same sub-folder as the music tracks (as expected):

.../Media/Music/John Mayer/Battle Studies (Deluxe Version)/Battle Studies (Deluxe Version) - iTunes LP.m4v

So mystery solved and a work-around discovered. However, this is a bug in Music and it should be addressed by Apple.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Maui Boy

Digging in further, it seems each time I try to Download the "digital booklet," iTunes downloads an MPEG-4 video (with filename extension ".m4v"). So the Deluxe content for this album is not a digital booklet; it's a video. However, the video goes into "Downloads-Music," a sub-folder within the Media sub-folder within the Music folder:

Music->Media->Downloads-Music->album name->album name.tmp->download.m4v:

So when double clicking the digital booklet item within Music, and when the error dialog opens, clicking Locate and pointing the Finder to the "download.m4v" item within the temporary folder allows the item to be found.

For completeness, I used File->Library->Organize Library... to ensure the item was relocated to wherever it belongs.

Now, opening the item in the album track list causes the video interview (aka the digital booklet) to play. And the item is properly identified now as a video (with a small video icon, just like music videos). Selecting Get Info... from the track menu and selecting the File tab, shows the video has been relocated to the same sub-folder as the music tracks (as expected):

.../Media/Music/John Mayer/Battle Studies (Deluxe Version)/Battle Studies (Deluxe Version) - iTunes LP.m4v

So mystery solved and a work-around discovered. However, this is a bug in Music and it should be addressed by Apple.

Can't Download a Digital Booklet from iTunes Store on Mac Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.