Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After security update 2021-007 for catalina MAMP isn't working, Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffb

After installing security update 2021-007 on Catalina, MAMP stopped working and flags a bug with the graphics kernel

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 3:23 AM

This means that you can reinstall macOS Catalina WITHOUT DESTROYING YOUR DATA and then install the previously downloaded Security Update 2021-006 Catalina which still not contains the HD4000 bug. To do so

1. Boot your Mac with CMD+R pressed for the local recovery partition (CMD+ALT+R for recovery directly from Apple servers via internet if you don't have a recovery partition)
  2. Choose Reinstall MacOS
  3. Choose your system disk as target
  4. this takes approx. 30 minutes, maybe more depending on your harddisk
  5. After that SystemSettings offers several additional updates. DO NOT install the 007 Update! All others may (and should) be installed.
  6. Download "Security Update 2021-006 Catalina" here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2085 if not already done so.
  7. Install the just downloaded update

That's it. (Done so at Nov.27, 2021 on my Mac Mini Late 2012, Core i7 2.6 GHz QuadCore)

Now the most recent security problems (which are addressed by update 007) remain, but your Mac works as expected / as before.

That's a special compromise for a special situation. No more but no less. Hope that helps.

Regards - Matthias

Similar questions

175 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 3:23 AM in response to frombossier city

This means that you can reinstall macOS Catalina WITHOUT DESTROYING YOUR DATA and then install the previously downloaded Security Update 2021-006 Catalina which still not contains the HD4000 bug. To do so

1. Boot your Mac with CMD+R pressed for the local recovery partition (CMD+ALT+R for recovery directly from Apple servers via internet if you don't have a recovery partition)
  2. Choose Reinstall MacOS
  3. Choose your system disk as target
  4. this takes approx. 30 minutes, maybe more depending on your harddisk
  5. After that SystemSettings offers several additional updates. DO NOT install the 007 Update! All others may (and should) be installed.
  6. Download "Security Update 2021-006 Catalina" here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2085 if not already done so.
  7. Install the just downloaded update

That's it. (Done so at Nov.27, 2021 on my Mac Mini Late 2012, Core i7 2.6 GHz QuadCore)

Now the most recent security problems (which are addressed by update 007) remain, but your Mac works as expected / as before.

That's a special compromise for a special situation. No more but no less. Hope that helps.

Regards - Matthias

Nov 4, 2021 8:03 AM in response to Stdenz

Hi,

the problem is your GPU (Intel HD4000).

Security Update 2021-007 Catalina broke the Intel Graphics driver.

Look into 'Console.app' for CrashReports from your application.

There you should find the following section:

[...]
Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffb

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff6ddc233a __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	0x00007fff6de82e60 pthread_kill + 430
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x00007fff6dd49808 abort + 120
3   libGPUSupportMercury.dylib    	0x00007fff54e5d0a5 gpusGenerateCrashLog.cold.1 + 95
4   libGPUSupportMercury.dylib    	0x00007fff54e5418f gpusGenerateCrashLog + 89
5   com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver	0x00007fff2972bdd0 gpusKillClientExt + 9
6   libGPUSupportMercury.dylib    	0x00007fff54e5555b gpusSubmitDataBuffers + 164
7   com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver	0x00007fff29301c78 IntelCommandBuffer::getNew(GLDContextRec*) + 48
8   com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver	0x00007fff29301aa6 intelSubmitCommands + 187
[...]

I opened a ticket on Apple Support - feel free to do so as well ;-)

Regards - Matthias

Nov 28, 2021 2:21 AM in response to HectorMI

The MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) was discontinued in October 2016. I bought mine brand new from an Apple authorized reseller on November 25 2016. Despite having "2012" in it's name my Mac was in fact less than 5 years old when this update broke it. Contrary to numerous contributors in this thread, we're not talking about 10 year old computers here, these machines are less than 5 years old. Unless they fix this issue, Apple's claim that my Mac is compatible with Catalina is simply not true.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210222

I made the choice not to upgrade my hardware last September specifically because Apple claimed my existing Mac hardware is compatible with Catalina. I won't be ready to purchase a new Mac until next September at the earliest. Not fixing this issue is totally unacceptable.

The Catalina update 2021-007 breaks both "Stellarium", a free open source planetarium, as well as the commercial software "Starry Night" on my MacBook Pro with Intel HD 4000 graphics. Neither application will launch on Catalina with this latest update on the affected hardware.

Ray

Nov 23, 2021 8:45 PM in response to frombossier city

frombossier city wrote:

... the majority of users don’t back up their computer ... everything i need is backed up in the cloud

I respectfully disagree with that. And I don't blame you for what has happened, this latest Security Update seems to have been quite crippling for 2012 MacBook Pros. I consider that an oversight by Apple that Apple should address. If an update doesn't work on a specific model, then Apple should not offer (or even allow) it. But I think the majority of users do back up their computers, Apple has made it so easy, all you do (for Catalina) is buy an external drive "for Mac" and it is already formatted for Catalina Time Machine, you connect it and it does Time Machine backups quietly in the background.

The majority of people I know using Macs do backups. Many don't even understand Time Machine, but when they replace their current Mac with a new one, they bring their Time Machine drive in and after someone does the migration for them, everything is just there like it was with the old one. I have done this myself for many friends and family members. It takes an hour or so.

One key reason to do these backups is to guard against an update that does not go well for your Mac. Even Apple knows this can happen:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 "Make a backup. Before installing any upgrade, it’s a good idea to back up your Mac. Time Machine makes it simple, and other backup methods are also available."

Even though this was an UPDATE not an UPGRADE, I still make sure I have multiple backups before an update, security updates in particular have been taking a long time, with multiple reboots, and sometimes firmware updates as well. So I play it safe.

By the way, you might check the above Apple Support link as it shows how to obtain the Catalina installer. If that installer does not include the problematic Security Update, you can wipe the disk, install Catalina, and then not apply the problematic Security Update. Then restore your files (you do say they are backed up in the cloud). Or make a Time Machine backup first, then erase and reinstall (either from the above link or from Recovery Mode), then migrate files only over. I did this once on an earlier MacOS and back then (with High Sierra) after the clean install I was prompted to apply a slew of updates. So avoiding this problematic Security Update might be possible. It might be possible to test this on an external drive. Or if this doesn't work, maybe try first with Mojave and perhaps the upgrade to Catalina won't include the problematic update.

I agree that these acrobatics should not be necessary but just trying to explore some things that might enable folks to start using their Macs the way they want again.

Nov 29, 2021 2:26 PM in response to PrinceOfPing

I don't believe that this bug was intentionally. You may (and obviously do) see that different.

However, any fix must go through the QA/Testing of Apple so that the current disappointment isn't repeated.

Since I don't expect that the (hopefully) next Update handles that HD4000 bug only, quite some machines including their variants have to be tested with tons of 3rd party software - of course that takes some time...

BTW: Here's the list of Apples 'vintage' and 'obsolete' products: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

I'm afraid the MacbookPro Mid 2012 has the status 'obsolete' even if it was produced until Oct.2016... that's not very nice indeed.

Nov 29, 2021 10:12 PM in response to kestrel9532

I don't believe that this bug was intentionally.

kestrel9532 wrote:

I don't believe that this bug was intentionally. You may (and obviously do) see that different.
However, any fix must go through the QA/Testing of Apple so that the current disappointment isn't repeated.
Since I don't expect that the (hopefully) next Update handles that HD4000 bug only, quite some machines including their variants have to be tested with tons of 3rd party software - of course that takes some time...

BTW: Here's the list of Apples 'vintage' and 'obsolete' products: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624
I'm afraid the MacbookPro Mid 2012 has the status 'obsolete' even if it was produced until Oct.2016... that's not very nice indeed.

I also do not believe that this security patch intentionally broke the graphics card.

On the other hand, the lack of an appropriate response highlights the weak will to correct the problem.

Instead of telling us your Mac is obsolete, they should tell us: we are sorry, we made a mistake and we will correct the problem.

That would be an appropriate response.

No doubt the warning signs are still too weak for us to be listened to. That is why we need to speak up and perhaps collectively.

Reading the document of LEGAL GUARANTEE OF THE SELLER AND THE DETACHED PARTS for the French case - which is my particular case - there is a legal protection against the existence of a hidden defect, which is the case of this situation.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/France_Statutory_Warranty.pdf

What is a hidden defect?

The seller of a product may be held liable when a defect that is not visible (i.e., not discoverable by a reasonable inspection by the buyer) renders the product unfit for the purpose for which it was intended or so diminishes its usefulness that the buyer, had he known of the defect, would not have acquired the product or would not have acquired it at the purchase price.

The solution :

For products with a hidden defect, the buyer will be entitled to obtain from Apple the return of the product for a refund of the purchase price, or a refund of part of the price if the buyer wishes to keep the product.

Dec 2, 2021 1:15 AM in response to kestrel9532

Forgoing security updates on a system less than 5 years old when Apple claims it is compatible with the OS is totally not an acceptable work around. When Catalina is no longer receiving security updates, then I can understand it, but these Macs are officially compatible according to Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210222

That they were being manufactured in Oct 2016 and in my case sold Nov 25, less than 5 years before the bug was introduced on Oct 25, 2021, only strengthens the case for Apple to fix the bug.

Dec 11, 2021 5:45 AM in response to depomnic

I make a new intent today morning replacing all the HD4000 drivers with those inside the 2021-006 sec update ...

After restart, Google Earth is working again, but it's very very slow.

Unusable !

RStudio is not crashing when open...

So it's seems not sufficient to replace the 4 IntelHD4000 extensions (kext) and probably more system software is responsible for the broken Open GL capability in my mac.

From my point of view, the problem could be related with Open GL - an "old" technology that compete with new proprietary software (ie Metal).

So maybe we need to replace more extensions to solve this nightmare.

Any idea ?

• About Open GL support ?
  • New extensions that could be involved in this question ?

Nov 9, 2021 2:46 PM in response to emjoro

@emjoro: Where is your problem?

• You boot into the recovery console using CMD+R while switching on your machine
  • Then re-install macOS Catalina
  • After reboot with the fresh installed Catalina, 'Softwareupdate' offers you additional updates for Catalina
  • Do NOT install "Security Update 2021-007 Catalina" (but all other offers of course)
  • Download "Security Update 2021-006 Catalina" and install it afterwards

You have now an OS without the faulty version of the HD4000GL-Driver - but you also miss the security fixes of the 007-package.

You have to decide yourself if it's the right way to do so.

BTW: I have Windows 10 under Parallels Desktop and there I can view any WebGL-Pages without the slightest problem ;-)

(That's a bit embarrassing for a Mac of course ;-)

Regards - Matthias

After security update 2021-007 for catalina MAMP isn't working, Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.