Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Search Mac for Folders Located in the Google Drive Folder

After upgrading my iMac to Monterey, I can't search for folders that are located in the Google Drive folder anymore. Searching does not work in Spotlight or in Finder search bar!! Help :(

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 1:02 PM

Did you drag and drop the Google Drive folder into the System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy panel and then [ - ] remove it so Spotlight would index it (if it can at all)? Google may be at fault too.

65 replies

Dec 21, 2021 7:03 AM in response to Fmdr

This previous discussion

Google Drive "open with" not showing loca… - Apple Community

included:

"On another post about Spotlight and Google Drive, it was noted that their preferences changed from Mirror to Sync, so none of the files were actually stored on the drive, just whatever placeholder they use. It may be that placeholder doesn't advertise the correct file type for the original file stored on the server along with it not providing the necessary metadata for Spotlight to index."

Dec 15, 2021 11:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

I tried this and it did not fix the issue. It still takes a VERY long time to search anything when using the finder to search for things stored on Google Drive. This was really fast prior to the update so I'm assuming the most recent update is the cause, not Google. Also, there is a new folder on the side of the finder called "localhost" which if you click on it, Google Drive is listed on it. If you eject it, Google Drive shuts off.

Jul 11, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Fmdr

Your finder or Spotlight should search again now!

It is well known and has been widely commented the problem that Apple finder has in communicating with Google Drive for desktop (DFD). You would search for anything in DFD using the finder or spotlight and nothing would come up...until now. DFD version 60.0 fixed that, just go to preferences and check the "Enable Spotlight to search streaming files" checkbox, voila! and automatically spotlight starts indexing the DFD. So it wasn’t your finder, it was DFD.

Also note that this solution is for streaming files, not mirror files, which reside on your computer and not in the DFD cloud.

NOTE: My only intention is to help with my modest effort to those who might have the same problem.

Dec 20, 2021 12:59 PM in response to Fmdr

Just the usual finder search. select folder, instead of "This Mac" the specific folder selected and the results shows up. I updated to 12.1 but even after the update the searching issue was there and now without any change all is working fine like on Catalina. No idea how this happens now... But still believe an issue with os 12 and drive which was recently changed. The backup and sync app from google never had issue but heard a few topics since they rolled out the new replacement which can either sync or stream data. That was the reason I didn't want to replace the old backup and sync app.

So I cant really help with more details

Feb 1, 2022 6:15 PM in response to adamfromwest hills

I found an end run. Paid 29 “pounds” for an app called “Alfred”. Google Alfred app mac. Version 4.62 fixes Monterey OS google drive problem . It’s a separate gadget to search your google drive. Spotlight works on your own machine & iCloud.

Stupid solution but I didn’t want to waste a day de-installing Monterey. Going forward, I won’t install new MacOS until it has a couple years of fixes.

Mar 9, 2022 2:37 PM in response to Fmdr

I am simply baffled by how this has happened. Moving from Back Up & Sync, which worked perfectly for me and really did not changing, I even didn't notice that the folder I was putting everything in as an important back up, did NOT sync. When I installed the new Google Drive software, it didn't remove or merge the old files in Back Up & Sync. I have been going for months without back ups now.

I also have the spotlight and regular search in the finder problem. How? How can this be an issue that has not been resolved over the past months? Especially since Google forced everyone to move to this.

I have provided feedback like suggested in this thread. There is also a Google thread on this, please everyone, fill in both for this unbelievable error!

Mar 17, 2022 6:45 AM in response to Fmdr

Running Monterey on a MacBook Pro. Compoany switched us all to GoogleDrive to consolidate emails & storage, supposedly streamlining things. I've been fighting with this since late fall. EVERY time I go looking for something (with files going back 7-8 -10 years in some cases), anything that has been moved to the drive is unsearchable. Takes me forever to sort through files now. Beyond frustrating. Honestly, I think I'm about to ditch the drive completely at this point.

Can't Search Mac for Folders Located in the Google Drive Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.