Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music songs vs previously purchased songs with Family Sharing

I've just joined a Family Sharing group that shares Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade. I have a TON of songs that I bought/imported prior to joining this group. I live in fear of losing everything should the organizer of the group cancel the sharing plan, since all my music would be uploaded to the cloud for sharing purposes. Is there a chance that could really happen? If so, I won't stay in the sharing plan if there's even the SLIGHTEST chance of this occurring. I'm getting the shakes just thinking about losing all my purchased music!!

Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:11 PM

Hey SueVee,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand wanting to prevent data loss of any sort, especially with that large of a collection of music files on your device. We can help address your fears.

Joining up with an Apple Music family subscription won't cause you to lose or have your existing library erased in any manner. When you do subscribe to Apple Music, any existing music will be matched to a version that exists in the Apple Music catalog which does help with the option of being able to share music

As quoted from within Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, "Make sure to back up your iPhone, iPad, iPod touchMac, or PC, so that you have a copy of your music and other information"

Also, quoted from within Get an Apple Music family subscription, "And each family member gets their own personal music library, and music recommendations based on what they love to listen to." So even if sharing of music is enabled, you'll still be the one managing your personal music library and collection, without interference from the other family members.

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 1:11 PM in response to SueVee

Hey SueVee,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand wanting to prevent data loss of any sort, especially with that large of a collection of music files on your device. We can help address your fears.

Joining up with an Apple Music family subscription won't cause you to lose or have your existing library erased in any manner. When you do subscribe to Apple Music, any existing music will be matched to a version that exists in the Apple Music catalog which does help with the option of being able to share music

As quoted from within Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, "Make sure to back up your iPhone, iPad, iPod touchMac, or PC, so that you have a copy of your music and other information"

Also, quoted from within Get an Apple Music family subscription, "And each family member gets their own personal music library, and music recommendations based on what they love to listen to." So even if sharing of music is enabled, you'll still be the one managing your personal music library and collection, without interference from the other family members.

Best regards.

Apple Music songs vs previously purchased songs with Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.