You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung LU28R55 4k Monitor resolutions defaults to HD not 4k on M1 Pro chip MBP

Hi there

With my new MBP and M1 Pro chip, connecting my 4k display via thunderbolt or HDMI, the resolution defaults to HD. I can change it manually to HDMI but it would be less of a pain if it 'just worked'

Talked to Apple Support, sadly all they could do was point me at another user with similar / same issue and tell me to ask Samsung for a firmware update

Other thread is here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252776268

the support articles referenced don't help

I'm running OS12.0..1

Any other fixes??

Cheers Nick

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 11:29 AM

14 replies

Nov 3, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry, I am lost now.

I've just got a 4k screen that starts up as a HD screen when I connect it to this machine, when it should be recognised as a native 4k screen. It works GREAT as a 4K screen when I scale the resolution but I shouldn't have to do that - I never had to do that on my last MBP...

I just reset it to 'Default for Display' and it goes to an HD display... see screenshots below

Nov 3, 2021 11:43 AM in response to Nick Horne

It is not broken. Displays Preferences is just very confusing.

to see the ACTUAL resolution for your HiDPI display, use:

 Menu > About this Mac > (System Report) > Graphics&Displays ...

... two numbers are reported here:

ACTUAL resolution, which should be the resolution you expected. Graphics are displayed at this resolution.

User Interface Looks Like resolution: this is the simulated resolution of ONLY textual items. These items are scaled UP by a factor such as 1.2, 1.5. 1.8, 2.0, to make them large enough to read. As a side effect, text diagonals and edges are beautiful -- no stair steps.

>> If the ACTUAL resolution is not what you expected, then we can discuss that as a Separate issue.

Nov 3, 2021 11:57 AM in response to Nick Horne

That says it is set to "4k" real resolution. Graphics are shown at a real "4K".

With current settings, no scaling of text is being performed. User Interface looks the same, (and is likely too tiny to read).

If you change to "Scaled", then displays preferences is not clear that it does not change the fundamental resolution, but only the "Looks Like" resolution at which text will be displayed.

If you try that and refresh the system report data, you should see those 'UI looks like' changes.

Dec 8, 2021 12:52 PM in response to Nick Horne

Hi Nick,

I've just bought the new MBP and the same Samsung monitor as you. I'm having the same issues as you, I can't seem to get the monitor to run 4k at 60hz. My biggest issue is the colour of the monitor though! When you have the MBP open side by side with the monitor, the monitor is very yellowy. I've played around with the monitors settings and the different colour profiles but can't seem to get it anywhere near the colours of the MBP, have you noticed this?

Cheers, Dan.

Dec 15, 2021 11:00 AM in response to Handlez

Hey Dan - I've only noticed yellow colour when night shift is on - could that be it for you? Maybe combined with dark mode?

As for the 4k, that seems to have worked itself out now - I actually ended up setting the MBP screen to 'more space' rather than 'default' and it seems to remember the settings for both displays now... might be a coincidence though.

I did also find this a bit odd though -the 'default' resolution for the MBP 16' is 1728 x 1117 when it is capable of 2056 x 1329 so why wouldn't this be the default?!

Dec 15, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Nick Horne

Hey Nick, cheers for your reply. I think I’ve sorted the yellowness out, it was down to the dark mode on the screens settings. I’ve played around so much with the Samsungs brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour settings that I don’t know what’s best now! Could you let me know what you’ve got set as yours please? I was trying to get it as close to the MBP as possible as I’m a designer and I didn’t want my work looking different between the 2 screens!

I’ve got my Samsung set to 2560x1440.. that seems to be best for me. But no matter what setting I have it on, it only seems to run at 30fps, when the monitor is advertised as 60fps.

As for the MBP settings, I can’t seem to open up the same options as I can for the Samsung so have no idea what resolution that’s running!

Jan 17, 2022 3:22 AM in response to Nick Horne

I have the same issue with the same machine and same screen. It is making me 'scale' to get to the native resolution.

By default I get this:

Resolution: 3840x2160 (2160p/4K UHD 1 - Ultra High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60.00Hz

Did you find a way to have the 'UI Looks like' display 4k without having to use a scaled resolution? Which apparently impacts the performance of the machine as per Apple warning: "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance"

Thanks

Jan 17, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Polo2A

Hiya Polo2A - no, still working on the 'scaled' resolution - but I see absolutely no 'performance' issues at all so I wouldn't worry about that one too much! The resolution matches the display so there isn't actually any scaling going on.

Since my original post I have actually also changed the native resolution on the built in screen to 'more space' which is 2056x1329 resolution versus the default of 1728 x 1117 (which scales exactly to the retina resolution of 3456x2234) and I also have no quality or performance issue that I can see, and it gives me a few extra rows and columns onscreen for those spreadsheets!! It also seems to 'remember' the extended display settings better now, may or may not be connected!

Hope that all helps

Nick

Samsung LU28R55 4k Monitor resolutions defaults to HD not 4k on M1 Pro chip MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.