You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook black screen death or no charge?????? Helppp pls

Im borrowing a friends laptop and ive had it around two-three months (they dont mind) but i only used it once and it has since had a flat battery since (majority of two/three months) and i tried to turn it on but theres no response? Is there meant to be a dead battery icon telling me to connect with charger or is it dead dead? Important to note: i do not have the charger.

May seem like dumb question but ive never used a mac 😬

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 3:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:11 AM

Hey Wormeater8,

From what we understand, the Mac will not power on, and it's showing the battery icon. MacBook notebooks have lithium batteries which needs to be charged: Batteries.

A power adapter and cable is required to charge the battery. In order to figure out which power adapter and cable is needed for the notebook you're using, review this article: Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2021 7:11 AM in response to Wormeater8

Hey Wormeater8,

From what we understand, the Mac will not power on, and it's showing the battery icon. MacBook notebooks have lithium batteries which needs to be charged: Batteries.

A power adapter and cable is required to charge the battery. In order to figure out which power adapter and cable is needed for the notebook you're using, review this article: Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook.

Take care.

Nov 5, 2021 7:01 AM in response to Wormeater8

If the battery of any electronic/electrical device is depleted, it's not going to work. They all need power from somewhere, either a charged battery, solar cell, house A/C power ... something.

If you don't have the charger and therefore haven't charged the battery in "two/three months", I feel confident the battery is depleted ... dead. If left like that for an extended period of time, it can damage the battery.

Batteries don't need to be used for them to lose charge. They all lose a certain amount of charge constantly when idle ... shutdown. I've seen articles that say on the order of 1% per day. So 3 months @ say 30 days/month will cause the battery to lose 90% of its charge and it very likely was not at 100% when you got it. Regardless of the self discharge numbers specific to the Mac's battery, it will "run down" all by itself.

macbook black screen death or no charge?????? Helppp pls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.