Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth connectivity to iPhone 11 Pro Max not working to MacBook Pro Early 2015 running Monterey

Since upgrading to Monterey on my MacBook Early 2015 I can no longer use Continuity Camera. Delving deeper it appears the MacBook will not connect to the iPhone with Bluetooth. The iPhone tries to pair but gets a "Connection Unsuccessful MacBook not supported" error.

The iPhone sees the Mac and I even get a pairing number to which I try and pair but both devices say the other is not connected and not supported.

Is this a general issue with Monterey or is it a feature that no longer works on older MacBooks?

I've tried all the usual switching on and off Bluetooth and resetting PRAM things but nothing is altering.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 1:52 PM

Hi destiny241

Thanks for the pointers which have led to the culprit!

When I booted in Safe Mode the continuity camera worked.

It then took a while after rebooting to go through all the apps that automatically loaded and stop each one and test. After I ran AirBuddy the camera stopped functioning with a time out. Switching AirBuddy off caused the camera and connection to the phone to start again.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 1:52 PM in response to destiny241

Hi destiny241

Thanks for the pointers which have led to the culprit!

When I booted in Safe Mode the continuity camera worked.

It then took a while after rebooting to go through all the apps that automatically loaded and stop each one and test. After I ran AirBuddy the camera stopped functioning with a time out. Switching AirBuddy off caused the camera and connection to the phone to start again.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

Nov 6, 2021 8:46 AM in response to ValleyForge2

Hello ValleyForge2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you can't use Continuity Camera with your Mac with Monterey and your iPhone. We'll do our best to assist.

Have you tried to disable Wi-Fi on both devices and then restart them? If not, we'd test that first: Disconnect Wi-Fi from the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar on your Mac and restart from the Apple menu. Disable Wi-Fi on your iPhone in Settings > Wi-Fi, then: Restart your iPhone

If you're using a VPN or security software on either device, we'd recommend to disable them and restart the device again, as these may be blocking the connection.

Do you happen to have Firewall enabled on your Mac in System Preferences > Security & Privacy?

Hoping to hear back, take care.

Nov 6, 2021 10:42 AM in response to ValleyForge2

Hi ValleyForge2,

Let's isolate it further.

Have you had a chance to test this in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Booting here will disable third-party extensions that may be blocking the connection. Also, there will be slow performance, that's expected behavior in safe mode. Use sections, 'If the issue continues in safe mode' and 'If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode' depending on the results there.

When you attempt to connect them with the pairing number, do they match, as expected? Or are they different? Do other Handoff features work, as expected? For example, Universal Clipboard, Safari tabs, Continuity Markup?

Does both the Mac and iPhone have the same Apple ID/iCloud account set up? Is the iPhone also, updated?

Have a good one, cheers.

Nov 6, 2021 9:00 AM in response to destiny241

Hi

I have tried the disabling and restarting of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and that didn’t work. I don't have any VPNs running.

I did have Firewall switched on on the Mac so have disabled this.

In Bluetooth, each device can see the other. If I try and pair the Mac using my iPhone I get a "Pairing Unsuccessful, MacBook is not supported" message. If I try and pair the phone from the Mac I get a pairing number which I also get on the phone and press "Pair" but this then fails.

Bluetooth connectivity to iPhone 11 Pro Max not working to MacBook Pro Early 2015 running Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.