Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charging?

Has anyone noticed that the usb c port charging problem? Think all started a week ago on a new iPad that I rarely use. When the charging cable is plugged in the iPad may or may not start charging, sometimes it will charge for a few hours and stop suddenly without anyone touching it. I thought it might be the cable, so I purchased a new one and the same problems continued. Anyone else notice this usually odd software/hardware issue?

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:48 AM

These support pages should help with troubleshooting:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 7:48 AM in response to DrReich

These support pages should help with troubleshooting:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 5, 2021 5:28 PM in response to DrReich

Yes I have been using the same authorized MFi supported accessories for about 6 or 7 months. I initial thought that it might be the USB cable so I purchased a new cable and the problem was exactly the same. I believe the problem started shortly after the IOS 15.1 update. I am still able to charge other devices (iphones and ipads) which have the older Lightning cables using the same Ravpower supply - zero problems. I have used the USB C cable and power supply on other devices without problems. Judging from this behavior, it appears that some way, some how, the new IOS is determining that the USB C devices are not compatible. This appears to me from the odd behavior that the bug is in the 15.1 update. Let me give you some recent examples. Last night I plugged in the usb c cable and power supply and the little lightning bolt in the battery popped up and the iPad was charging. This morning the lightning bolt was gone and when I when into the battery settings I could see that the charging stopped after 3 hours and never turned back on. While trouble-shooting with Apple support, they had me restart the iPad and sure enough the lightning bolt showed up after the restart, but then, about 5 minutes later, without touching the iPad, cable or anything, it suddenly disappeared.

Of course when I talked to Apple support and they gave the party line that if it is not an Apple Branded accessory - I should go talk to the device manufacturer (Ravpower) (the assumption being that the IOS update has nothing to do with the problem). So I called Ravpower customer support and they are looking into problem and will get back to me.

I am just asking if others have had similar problems or is my power supply going bad or is out-of-date given the new IOS updates. I also wish that the technical support personal would stop drawing lines when it comes to non-Apple accessories. These companies are paying Apple a Licensing fee to use the MFi technology for the very reason that Apple requires that these devices are within the specifications to interface with apple products. I know this is a big issue in Europe right now with the EU essentially demanding that all iPhones sold there have standard USB c interfaces - but it would be better if the technicians could troubleshoot with MFi approved accessories attached.

charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.