Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running out of space - storing in iCloud

I have my iCloud turned on, minus a few applications I don't want/need stored in iCloud. However, my system tells me often that I'm running out of space and to store everything in iCloud... I am! When I open the recommended actions within: about this Mac/storage/manage/recommended actions and click on "Store in iCloud" it tells me I need to sign into iCloud with my password... I've already done this and I get the same message every time.

I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong here. I don't know why there's an option to store things in the cloud if it's going to take up space on my Mac as well. Help if you can, thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 11:36 AM

Storing your documents and data in iCloud will only save storage on your Mac, if you are also using the option "Optimise Mac Storage". Otherwise the items will be stored in iCloud and mirrored on your Mac as well.

With "optimise Mac Storage" enabled the system can remove older documents and data from your Mac, that you have not used in a long time, and keep them only in iCloud.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 11:36 AM in response to GuyWhoUsesMacbookPro

Storing your documents and data in iCloud will only save storage on your Mac, if you are also using the option "Optimise Mac Storage". Otherwise the items will be stored in iCloud and mirrored on your Mac as well.

With "optimise Mac Storage" enabled the system can remove older documents and data from your Mac, that you have not used in a long time, and keep them only in iCloud.

Running out of space - storing in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.