Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro Version Upgrades No Longer Free?

This was briefly covered but not fully answered in a previous thread, and when I tried to interact with the thread, I was told to start a new question, so here goes:

I have had a purchased copy of Logic Pro since... well for a very long time. Upgrading from version number to version number has always been free, just like it is for Final Cut Pro (having gone from the old layout to the new Final Cut Pro X) and Compressor, which are currently fully up to date.

I am using the following hardware and OS now:

Mac Mini (M1, 2020)

MacOS Big Sur 11.4

While migrating from my old iMac, I expected some apps to not function crossing from High Sierra to Big Sur, and Logic is one of those that did not. My current version of Logic Pro is 9.1.8. I have been through the product through as many updates as I can remember, since -again I cannot remember, but I think the early 2010s- and have had no issues with climbing version numbers. However:

When I launch Logic Pro, I receive the following errors, which are shown in the screenshots below:

This version is not compatible with Big Sur. Download the latest version from the App Store.

When I click on the "Search App Store" button, I receive an error stating:

This app is currently not available in your country or region.

Then, as shown in the screen shot below, I see that Logic Pro is available from the App Store, but it costs $199.99.

Why? I have never had to pay for a version upgrade in the past, why am I now having to purchase the software as if I had never had a license before? How do I remedy this without purchasing the software all over again?

Thanks!

-Kim

Mac Mini (M1, 2020)

MacOS Big Sur 11.4

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 10:26 AM

Logic has never been free.

Version 7 to 8, was a paid upgrade, version 8 to 9 was a paid upgrade, version 8 to 10 is also a paid upgrade. Logic 9.1.8 was released almost 10 years ago, you will not recognize the application it is a very different beast. Incremental updates are free. Logic 10.0 to 10.7 (approximately 20 incremental updates) have all been free.

p.s. No one from Apple is here, it's a user only forum.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 10:26 AM in response to AProApps-User

Version 7 to 8, was a paid upgrade, version 8 to 9 was a paid upgrade, version 8 to 10 is also a paid upgrade. Logic 9.1.8 was released almost 10 years ago, you will not recognize the application it is a very different beast. Incremental updates are free. Logic 10.0 to 10.7 (approximately 20 incremental updates) have all been free.

Nov 6, 2021 5:48 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

Unsure! Where are you?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389#:~:text=Use%20your%20computer%20to%20change%20your%20region&text=In%20the%20menu%20bar%20at,your%20new%20country%20or%20region.
Careful with that, I'm unsure of any side effects.

I am in Southwestern Indiana, USA. :P My AppleID shows that much, just confirmed it. :D

Nov 6, 2021 2:07 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

I am not suggesting it has. I am saying that with my other pro apps, I have never had to pay again for an upgrade, be it incremental or up to the next number, such as you describe below.

Curious. I did not pay an upgrade price to go from the original Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X, and have not had to pay for any updates to it either. Granted that all of this started back when serial numbers were a thing, but that has never been an issue.

Gotcha.

All of that aside, what is the deal with "Not available in your country"?

Nov 7, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Don Mactavish

Don Mactavish wrote:

HI,

Just to confirm what Pancenter said. The upgrade from Logic Pro 9.x to 10.x has always been a paid upgrade.

Cheers

I follow, I have just never experienced that, going back to version 7 and on. But oh well, your mileage may vary, as they say. Not sure why it was different for me until now. I am not using it as much now, so if I need it again, I can get the new version later.

Now the region thing... :P

Anyway,

Cheers mate :)

Logic Pro Version Upgrades No Longer Free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.