Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t log in to new iMac—mouse won’t connect

I have a new iMac I’m in the process of setting up for the first time. We have 3 user profiles. Hit a complete standstill for the past week: on the account login screen, the mouse won’t connect. Forcing restart just brings me back to the same spot, and the cursor is stuck in the corner, so I’m unable to select a profile to log in. I rebooted in safe mode, but because the mouse won’t work, I can’t select anything from that screen, either.

I’ve tried connecting the mouse to the lightening cord to charge it, tried turning it off and on… seem to be out of options from there.

Any way to force the keyboard on the login screen? Any way—without a mouse—to wipe the entire thing so I can start over?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 5:39 AM

Since the Bluetooth mouse isn’t working. I suggest you get a cheapo wired USB mouse to use for this.

When you’ve logged in, reset the pairing for the wireless mouse.

It’s a good idea to keep a USB keyboard and mouse handy for just this sort of situation.

1 reply

Can’t log in to new iMac—mouse won’t connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.