Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey abnormally long download time.

Mac OS Monterey says- 2 days for download, then stops after about a period with a "Installation Failed- An error occurred while installing the selected updates" message popping up. When I click download again, it continues from where it stopped and repeats the same process previously mentioned.

I'm wondering What is the problem? My updates always come through flawlessly, high speed wifi, and more than adequate free space; and in general have a very clean, spotless machine.

Does anyone else have this problem? is there a fix? and can anyone help me understand and resolve this issue? Thanks much in advance if possible

-(for now I'm continuing the intermittent method mentioned earlier, although it will take forever.)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 3:00 AM

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Similar questions

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 3:00 AM in response to sihon

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Feb 14, 2022 6:49 AM in response to BettyBlockchain

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

Avast AntiViru 

Ad Guard

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 7, 2022 4:00 AM in response to song_lover

Suggestion - open a New Question outlining the specific issue and what hardware is involved plus any steps take to resolve the issue

One is more lightly to receive better responses with assistance to your issue.

Another suggestion - the length of time to download Monterey. It appear one has more than one computer that qualifies for the Monterey Computer. Instead of downloaded to each computer - download it Once. Do not allow the upGrade to launch. This will create a New Application in the Applications folder called " Install Monterey " Copy that Application to a reliable External Drive. Move the drive t next qualifying computer to upgrade to Monterey and Copy from the External Drive to Applications folder on that computer. Now, that second or third computer is ready to be upgraded.

Results - single download and upgrade 2 or more computers without the 8 Hours download to each individual computer.

Have done this for both Big Sur and Monterey on the computers ( 4 ) in my stable and has worked like a charm.

Dec 29, 2021 10:29 AM in response to PRP_53

Macbook pro 16 m1 max. More than 4 hours and still downloading over Ethernet. My internet speed is over 900mb. This is my second attempt. I'm reinstalling the the fresh os. Wondering if there is something wrong with my 2 weeks old macbook because it crashed several times while using Blender and I decided to install fresh macos and now I'm in no luck state. If that fails either I have to contact support or take it to store.

Jan 7, 2022 3:01 AM in response to sihon

I have been using Macs from 1997. This Monterey installment is a complete disaster. And looking at the other comments here, the problems have been present for at least two months. Apple must wake up now. There is something deeply wrong with the Monterey install. I need to use the migration assistant in OSX to switch to a newer Imac, and for that reason the old and the new computer have to run on the same OSX. One was running Catalina , and one was on Big Sur. The download of Monterey took about 8 hours on each computer (normally this takes 40 minutes). On the Big Sur machine, the installment process displayed as "about 28 minutes" has taken over 2.5 hours now, and is still not done. The computer now keeps restarting with a black screen (three times). And there is absolutely no saying what is going on. If it's frozen or stuck in some cycle. On the Catalina the installment took some 45 minutes . The computer restarted. Then restarted again... and: Catalina was still there. Nothing had been updated, and there was no error message or anything. I had to re-install Monterey, and then it finally worked. Please understand Apple: this Monterey TOTALLY *****. Do something! Since 1997, I have not experienced such a bad OS installment process.

Jan 25, 2022 12:27 PM in response to sihon

I am exasperated…. An entire 2 DAYS and it still won’t install. My MAC is less than 2 years old and I am massively disappointed in this O/S… worst experience with Apple to date. I have disabled the VPN. Verified that there is more than enough storage and I have disconnected all other devices from wifi. My computer just “hangs” . Can’t work and at this point want to throw my Mac out the window! Arghhggggg.

Feb 1, 2022 7:55 AM in response to sihon

You are not alone.

I wanted to reinstall Monterey on MBP 14 since i have issues with slow FCPX export, it says over 4h. Sorry but it's 2022 and nothing like that should take 4h (and it stayed like that even after 30min so i canceled) Apple keeps laughing at us, we pay a lot of our computers, we deserve much better.

Feb 1, 2022 11:29 PM in response to ranmol

I have a A2338 M1 Macbook Pro.

I could not install Monterey since yesterday from Istanbul/Turkey region via recovery mode. I don't use any VPN app and I have 35Mpbs internet connection. Working from home and my internet connection is pretty stable

I left my macbook turned on since yesterday but it is still downloading for more than 12 hours. What is going on!!!!

Thanks

Onder

Feb 1, 2022 11:30 PM in response to PRP_53

I have a A2338 M1 Macbook Pro.

I could not install Monterey since yesterday from Istanbul/Turkey region via recovery mode. I don't use any VPN app and I have 35Mpbs internet connection. Working from home and my internet connection is pretty stable

I left my macbook turned on since yesterday but it is still downloading for more than 12 hours. What is going on!!!!

Thanks

Onder

Mac OS Monterey abnormally long download time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.