Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay icon missing after connecting Apple TV 4

Hi.

Until last week I could air play music from my MBP and Mac Pro to our Yamaha receiver & entertainment system. I could connect to it via bluetooth. But this weekI can't. The icon has disappeared, as has the list of commonly used bluetooth devices, such as the Yamaha receiver, bluetooth speaker, phones etc.

Last weekend I connected an Apple TV 4 that my folks were done with, connected the 2 Macs, watched a movie just fine, but now there's no airplay icon on my music app. And no way to connect to the receiver via bluetooth.

I've restarted everything, signed out of apple TV and removed it. Everything is on the same network.

All the other devices - phones and ipads can still connect via bluetooth to the Yamaha.

Can anyone help? Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 4:46 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2021 11:54 PM in response to Kimbo H

AirPlay and Bluetooth are distinctly different communication protocols. Bluetooth vs AirPlay: what’s the difference? - Cambridge Audio

To use AirPlay from the Mac’s Music app, click the (AirPlay) Audio Controls icon in the top bar of the window. (It will list both discovered AirPlay and Bluetooth speakers.) Choose which speakers to use in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2021 3:14 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for replying.

Thanks for enlightening me about bluetooth and airplay. I was a bit confused, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Last week I could turn the Yamaha receiver - "living room"- on to bluetooth input and stream music to it from it from my 2 Macs. Or I could use the airplay icon and choose "living room".

After I connected the Apple TV, the airplay icon disappeared completely from the top menu and from apple music app. And my list of frequently used bluetooth connections - phones, ipads, BT speakers and "living room" has disappeared too. I've been able to reconnect to BT devices - phones, BT speaker, etc, but am unable to find "Living room".

I signed out of Apple TV, disconnected it, and the icons/bluetooth list did not reappear.

I reconnect the Apple TV & the airplay icon returns, but I don't always want to use Apple TV. Sometimes I just want to play music through the sound system without TV or messing around with clunky menus.

It's especially annoying because it's both my Macs that are affected, at exactly the same time.

Thanks again for your help.

Airplay icon missing after connecting Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.