Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimized Battery Charging Fails on M1 MacBook Pro

My new MacBook Pro 14" (M1Pro chip) has Optimized Battery Charging on for 6 days, but still charges to 100% when power cord is plugged in. Power is connected at 10pm, disconnected at 10am, but Mac won't charge to 80% til 7am like my iPhone.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:07 AM

Thank you, Leroy Douglas. You were right on. After 2 weeks of starting my MacBook Pro charge at about 10 pm and taking it off the charger at about 9:30 a.m., the optimized battery charging has kicked in and has limited my charge to 80% until 1-2 hr before 9:30.

10 replies

Nov 11, 2021 8:23 AM in response to coheng

coheng wrote:

My new MacBook Pro 14" (M1Pro chip) has Optimized Battery Charging on for 6 days, but still charges to 100% when power cord is plugged in. Power is connected at 10pm, disconnected at 10am, but Mac won't charge to 80% til 7am like my iPhone.

It will take the software a couple of weeks+ to learn your habits— I would not try and micromanage the battery charging.

If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only.

Monterey 12.0.1 is a new release, point update will follow.... if it needs to be sorted out on macOS side then keep your software up to date.

I would not recommend 3rd party

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2021 8:24 AM in response to coheng

Yes.... Apple does not recommend any third party apps for any kind of utility. That is a given. Apple has a way that they do things.

You are taking your computer to places that Apple doesn’t want you, to go if you install a third party app.

If you decide to install the .01 update, be aware that while it will fix some things, it undoubtedly(from the reports) breaks other things. My opinion is not to install any updates until the system is mature at about .5. Dlo not install even incremental updates without having a fully functional Time Machine(or Carbon Cloner or Superduper---again not recommended by Apple) back up.

Nov 11, 2021 4:19 PM in response to ku4hx

The new Mac is fully charged and only dicharges ~25% on better y in a days activity. Plugged in at night it hired yo 100% charge right away. Optimized charging on my iphone learned in a few days to start charging at 10 pm to 80%, then holds til 6am to finish charging to 100% at 8:30 am. My Mac hasn’t done this, yet- hope it’s just a matter of time. I was hoping some in the community could indicate how long, or if this delay was abnormal.

Nov 16, 2021 12:34 PM in response to coheng

coheng wrote:
My Mac hasn’t done this, yet- hope it’s just a matter of time. I was hoping some in the community could indicate how long, or if this delay was abnormal.

To follow up—

after upgrading to Monterey on the day it dropped (11/25) —it has taken 22 days for the battery to settle back down to 80% while being plugged into the mains 24/7.

So I will have to edit my previous comment to "give it 3 weeks+" to learn your computer habits before you witness a change in charging hold and the Battery Health Management software.

Nov 23, 2021 9:40 AM in response to coheng

coheng wrote:

Thank you, Leroy Douglas. You were right on. After 2 weeks of starting my MacBook Pro charge at about 10 pm and taking it off the charger at about 9:30 a.m., the optimized battery charging has kicked in and has limited my charge to 80% until 1-2 hr before 9:30.

Thanks for your testimonial...

currently my battery has settled at 78%. I have seen it previously settle down to 72%. II am typically plugged in 24/7.

The take home lesson is there is no need to micro-manage battery health.

Nov 23, 2021 2:56 PM in response to leroydouglas

Maybe leaving it connected to power all the time will work with optimized charging, but my experience with an old MacBook Pro, and also a Dell laptop, is that a permanent connection kills the battery for remote usage when no charger connection is desired. Those computers wouldn't go more than 30 minutes without being plugged in. So, even though optimized charging may change the equation, I hesitate to keep it on a plug 24/7.

Optimized Battery Charging Fails on M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.