Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inability to search in Calendar on my Mac

Hello. I discovered today that I am unable to search for past events in Calendar on my MacBook Pro 2015. I am running Monterey, and all recent updates have been applied. I am using iCloud Calendar.

I get no results, even if I search for an event from a few days ago, or from a few weeks in the future. This issue does not replicate on my iPhone or my iPad, and all events are syncing in real time.

I've attached a screenshot, wherein I searched for an old Doctor's appointment. I've had several appointments with this Doctor and they all show up when I search on my iPhone or iPad. You will see that the search field says "Today" but the issue occurs in the Week, Month, and Year views.

I'm thinking that this is a Monetary bug. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Many Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 9:08 AM

Same problem. I've for years been able to search for past events on my Mac, and now, with a brand new iMac M1 and updated OS Monterey, suddenly the calendar search for past events gives absolutely nothing. I, like others, see my calendar events of the past on my other devices, but not on their Macs. I work primarily at a desk and rely on quick calendar searches there for much of my work. Please, Apple: what is wrong with Monterey's Calendar app? We need a solution badly.

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 9:08 AM in response to mset68

Same problem. I've for years been able to search for past events on my Mac, and now, with a brand new iMac M1 and updated OS Monterey, suddenly the calendar search for past events gives absolutely nothing. I, like others, see my calendar events of the past on my other devices, but not on their Macs. I work primarily at a desk and rely on quick calendar searches there for much of my work. Please, Apple: what is wrong with Monterey's Calendar app? We need a solution badly.

Nov 29, 2021 4:35 AM in response to mset68

Same problem here. New 14" MacBook Pro M1Pro w Monterey 12.0.1 synched with iCloud for a week. Just tried a calendar search and no results for any search in the calendar search field.

However, if I search the Mac with spotlight (from the Finder men bar), I get the expected results organized under Events & Reminders (Events and Reminders checkbox inside of Spotlight system settings is enabled). So the problem is not a spotlight indexing failure. Anyway this is a temp workaround.

Nov 12, 2021 10:02 AM in response to mset68

Hello mset68.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are not able to search the Calendar for past events. We know it's important for our apps to work as expected and we'll be glad to assist.

Let's start up in safe mode and test: Start up your Mac in safe mode

If the issue persists, Contact Apple for support and service

Cheers.

May 17, 2022 11:14 PM in response to TinkerTots

The procedure provided by "DDjac" WORKED for me.

DDjac posted this procedure on Jan 19, 2022 7:05 AM in response to Lakeaire.

DDjac's posting is in the "Apple Community" under the topic "Can't search in iCal".

Hopefully, this link/URL will take you to it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253424643?answerId=256707361022&page=2

After doing every step in that procedure

(exactly like it's author stated, including selecting the entire harddrive MacIntosh HD),

my calendar searches are now working!

Apple's "Calendar.app" (version 11.0), on my iMac (M1-chip),

running Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1, has now started to correctly search my calendar.

It is no longer returning the ridiculous "No Results".

I say started because it will take awhile for Spotlight to re-build it's indexes

(since you MUST pick the entire harddrive MacIntosh HD to make this procedure

work successfully).

For your reference/convenience, here is DDjac's posting:

Ok, I found a workaround in some other thread and it worked for me: Rebuild the Spotlight Index

Apple already published this workaround for another issue and this procedure also rebuilds the calendar search index:

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Basically it works like this:

open System Preferences, then click Spotlight

click the Privacy tab

add the main harddisk of your Mac to the list of items which should be excluded from the indexing process.

close System Preferences

reboot the mac

then: do the same steps and remove the harddisk form the list

reboot the mac again and the rebuild the spotlight index process starts (internally)

As I understand, these steps "force" to rebuild the spotlight index which then includes the calendar entries.

The rebuild takes a while so don't expect to get search results immediately.

But this procedure worked for me!

[AND IT WORKED for me (TinkerTots) on 5/17/2022, on my iMac (2021, M1 chip), running Mac OS (Monterey) 12.3.1, with

Apple "Calendar.app" version 11.0.]

Dec 7, 2021 6:42 PM in response to mset68

I am having exactly the same problem on a new MacPro 14" M1Pro chip running Monterey. My son has a new MacBook Air with an M1 chip running Monterey and his Calendar search function works fine - indicates it may not be an OS issue? I might also add that not all of my past events with the same subject or even some individual past events show up in a Spotlight search and when they do I only get events in the past year. I was able to search back years in Calendar prior to Monterey and the 14" Macbook Pro. A fix would be good because manually searching back through years for repeated events is not doable.

Dec 7, 2021 7:21 PM in response to mset68

Hard to say what it is. My bet is on Monterey. It’s possible that if there’s a bug in the OS it may not wreak the same havoc on all systems, depending on the configuration (RAM, Processor etc)and the mix of other application set. Also not everyone may be running the same version of Monterey.

Unlikely that this is a hardware issue, because a hardware issue probably wouldn’t replicate across many users’ machines, as this is.

That leaves one of the only commonalities between many unrelated devices: the OS. Whether it’s Monterey or across versions isn’t known. I haven’t heard anyone mention another other OS in

relation to this issue.

The other commonality is Cloud, which is obviously intertwined with Calendar.

I’d be interested to know if this issue is happening with other accounts in Calendar? Google? Outlook?

In the meantime I’ve been using the calendar on my phone and iPad and they’re not affected at all. I’d be surprised if this isn’t corrected soon. I sure hope so.

Dec 8, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Mangles6

Hard to say what it is. My bet is on Monterey. It’s possible that if there’s a bug in the OS it may not wreak the same havoc on all systems, depending on the configuration (RAM, Processor etc)and the mix of other application set. Also not everyone may be running the same version of Monterey.

Unlikely that this is a hardware issue, because a hardware issue probably wouldn’t replicate across many users’ machines, as this is.

That leaves one of the only commonalities between many unrelated devices: the OS. Whether it’s Monterey or across versions isn’t known. I haven’t heard anyone mention another other OS in

relation to this issue.

The other commonality is Cloud, which is obviously intertwined with Calendar. However I checked and the issue also replicates using Google Calendar in the Mac Calendar app.

In the meantime I’ve been using the calendar on my phone and iPad and they’re not affected at all. I’d be surprised if this isn’t corrected soon. I sure hope so.

Dec 27, 2021 9:07 AM in response to dccouch

The 12.1 install fixed the problem for me, too. It may be that your spotlight indexing is not finished or disabled. Try searching for a known cal event using spotlight (cmd-space). If that fails, there is a problem with your spotlight index. Consult with methods for re-indexing your boot drive. When that is done test again and let us know.

Best,

-Chris

Jan 19, 2022 2:53 AM in response to SnickZ.

I have the same problem on my macbook pro M1 Max which arrived before Christmas (after 6 weeks waiting list) and it is already a couple of weeks that I reached out to Support with no avail.

Initially the system wasn't indexing and couldn't perform searches on finder, now I fixed that but still have problems with ICal (which I use a lot). I really hope this will be fixed soon... !

Inability to search in Calendar on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.