Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 Garageband lesson files

Here's a quandary for you, There's probably no solution but I thought I'd try.

Way back in 2009 I downloaded a couple of artist guitar lessons for GarageBand, one by Sting and one by John Fogerty. I enjoyed them but kind of moved on. In fact, I didn't use GarageBand for years. Apparently at one point a newer version of GarageBand would prompt you to update the older files, but I never noticed. Now I'm back to playing with GarageBand and I saw that those two lessons were no longer listed. But I found the files! Of course, the current GarageBand can't open them, even though the information window for the files still lists GarageBand as the default application.

So, am I out of luck? Or is there a fix available somewhere somehow?

Waiting in suspense ......

Ed Merrin

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 10:42 AM

Then I am at a loss, Ed.

I just checked again, I can use all four Artist Lessons I have installed in that folder, including the two Sting lessons. See the screenshot below (sorry, I just set the language of my Mac to German, so Siri will understand German names): But when I go to "File > New", then click "Learn to Play", then Artist Lesson", I can see the old lessons I downloaded.

You may want to try to install one of the new, free Artist lessons. Perhaps that will activate the older lessons again, if you keep them installed. I only recently added the free Rush lessons.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 10:42 AM in response to Phototdoc

Then I am at a loss, Ed.

I just checked again, I can use all four Artist Lessons I have installed in that folder, including the two Sting lessons. See the screenshot below (sorry, I just set the language of my Mac to German, so Siri will understand German names): But when I go to "File > New", then click "Learn to Play", then Artist Lesson", I can see the old lessons I downloaded.

You may want to try to install one of the new, free Artist lessons. Perhaps that will activate the older lessons again, if you keep them installed. I only recently added the free Rush lessons.

Nov 15, 2021 7:40 AM in response to Phototdoc

Have you tried to install the file you found in the correct folder in the Library?

If it is a .mwnd file, like Rush_Limelight.mwand, move it to garageBand's Application Support folder in the system wide Library folder - the folder

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Learn to Play/Artist Lessons

Then restart the Mac and GarageBand and hope, GarageBand will recognise it

2009 Garageband lesson files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.