Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in Mac Mail No Longer Working Properly

I use the search function in Mac Mail all the time -- to remind myself about old e-mails that I've sent or saved (e.g. what was the name of that rhododendron that Mom recommended? What year was I e-mailing folks back and forth about Dacor appliances?). Suddenly those searches just show results that I know are wrong -- e.g. almost nothing shows up in the searches. For example, I search for the word "Leif", knowing that the guy who runs my kids' tennis program is Leif something and I've sent him tons of e-mails... and nothing shows up. If I start a new e-mail his name comes up immediately when I start typing "Leif," and there are definitely e-mails in my "Sent" folder with his name on them. Yet nothing shows up in the search.

HELP! This is a vital tool that I use all the time to remind myself of things I've e-mailed about. I don't want to lose it.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:29 PM

Nancy Trainer wrote:

I use the search function in Mac Mail all the time -- to remind myself about old e-mails that I've sent or saved (e.g. what was the name of that rhododendron that Mom recommended? What year was I e-mailing folks back and forth about Dacor appliances?). Suddenly those searches just show results that I know are wrong -- e.g. almost nothing shows up in the searches. For example, I search for the word "Leif", knowing that the guy who runs my kids' tennis program is Leif something and I've sent him tons of e-mails... and nothing shows up. If I start a new e-mail his name comes up immediately when I start typing "Leif," and there are definitely e-mails in my "Sent" folder with his name on them. Yet nothing shows up in the search.

HELP! This is a vital tool that I use all the time to remind myself of things I've e-mailed about. I don't want to lose it.

Mail search is dependent on the Spotlight data base...

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 5:29 PM in response to Nancy Trainer

Nancy Trainer wrote:

Mail search is dependent on the Spotlight data base...

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 21, 2021 10:26 AM in response to Nancy Trainer

Mail has broken in multiple ways I have noticed.... on both my Mac's the search is very broken (after Rebuilding Spotlight it appeared to help but I have noticed that it showed different results but not all) but I noticed that all my signatures were gone and went back to settings of years ago... suddenly old signatures were back and all new were gone. I also have found that the junk mail settings are not working as I have set it and rules I've put in place for spam are also not being followed by mail.

Search in Mac Mail No Longer Working Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.