Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth earbuds mic stops working after a few minutes

Hi all,

Recently my Galaxy Buds+ Plus mic has had issues on my Mac OS Monterey laptop. The sound works perfectly, but when I join zoom or google meet calls, the mic will work for the first few minutes then stop working. The sound still works fine, though. I've checked and the input mic is set correctly in the settings. It's been ongoing for weeks, and in some rare cases, the mic will work for an entire 30 minute call.

I also use these earbuds with my Android (Pixel 3) and the mic works fine on calls. So I think the issue is likely with Mac.

I've tried resetting my earbuds through the wearables android app, updating the firmware, disconnecting and forgetting the buds from my mac and repairing, turning bluetooth on and off on my laptop, and restarting my laptop. 

I even tried using my older generation Galaxy Buds, but the same thing happens. I don't own any wired headphones to test or use as a backup.

Maybe this is related to the recent Mac OS Monterey update? It was around that time that the problem started, but I'm not sure exactly. 

I'd love some help, thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 8:08 AM

Similar questions

34 replies

Nov 18, 2021 8:44 AM in response to brandt179

Hi brandt179,

It seems like your Bluetooth headphones aren't working with your Mac as expected, is that correct? We'd love to help however we can.

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Do any errors appear prior to when the microphone stops working? If so, what does the error say?
  2. Since you mentioned that this seemed to happen after updating, would you mind confirming the exact macOS version your device is running at this time? Find out which macOS your Mac is using
  3. Since noticing this issue, have you had a chance to go through these steps? If a Bluetooth headset doesn’t work with Mac If so, did those steps help at all?
  4. Does this only happen when using Zoom or Google Meet?

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2021 3:30 AM in response to rad160

Good morning, I have a work around in place via a Chrome extension which disables microphone gain adjustment.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/97810/mac-osx-microphone-input-volume-level-auto-adjusts-can-it-be-disabled

It's this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/disable-automatic-gain-co/clpapnmmlmecieknddelobgikompchkk

Works fine with Google meet, now I can use my bluetooth buds again.

But still a temporary fix, of course...

Hope Apple will fix this issue asap.

Nov 20, 2021 6:27 AM in response to brandt179

brandt179,

Thanks so much for letting us know more about the issue.

Just to confirm, do you show any available updates for the apps the issue is occurring with? Keep your Mac up to date

When the issue happens in the Zoom or Google Meet apps, do the applications ever seem to stop responding, or is the issue only with the microphone? If apps aren't working or responding as expected, these steps may help: If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

Thank you!

Nov 20, 2021 9:36 AM in response to brandt179

brandt179,

Thanks for answering those questions. We'd like to narrow this down more.

Does the issue also happen in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac

Did you have a chance to test the issue in other apps as well? If the issue only occurs in the Zoom and Google Meet apps, and they're already updated, we'd suggest reaching out to the app developers for further assistance: How to contact an app developer

Take care!

Nov 23, 2021 5:52 AM in response to marianapgn

I'm facing exactly same issues after I did the upgrade to Monterey. Even more, I have the same issues using other communication applications like Whatsapp and Viber.

During this issue with the microphone on my Galaxy Buds, if I switch to classic wired headphones, continuous working using that mic. Same is happening if I switch to the Mac mic/speakers - everything works good.

As additional note, everything with my Galaxy Buds works as expected with BigSur.

Nov 23, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Brittany1416

I tried safe mode and the same thing happens.

I think I found the issue. For no apparent reason, the mic volume drops down to nearly zero while in use. I see this happen by having the Settings > Sound > Input tab open and observing the slider move on its own. When I drag it back up to a reasonable level, the mic works again immediately.

It seems that however this auto mic input volume adjustment works is broken for me. My workaround for now is to always have open the Settings and increase the volume while in meetings and people complain about not hearing me.

I hope this can be fixed soon, thank you!

Nov 23, 2021 12:49 PM in response to brandt179

I have exactly the same problem. Updated yesterday to Monterey and now my Buds plus are loosing microphone functionality after 1 to 30 minutes, every time different. Very annoying! It is related to Monterey OS, I am 100% sure.

Apple please fix this for us, on Big Sur I have been working with the buds 9 hours a day. I need them for work!

Feb 6, 2022 9:20 PM in response to Brittany1416

That was the Issue. I will never ever proactively update my MacBook. It's clear this Issue was happening for months in beta versions. You can find people reporting the same behaviour. Apple was Ignoring it. Now I spend a day on fixing my mic on multiple calls. And again, there is no fix and even after release. Is the bug there by purpose? Is it because it's not AirPods?

Feb 7, 2022 8:11 AM in response to luke_94

Any solution for this, or a separate community item? I also have mouse lag when using my buds+ on a new Macbook Pro (M1 Pro with 12.2).

On my old Macbook Pro, after I upgraded to macOS 12, my mic on my Buds+ stopped working after a couple of minutes of use. Same issue that everyone else is having here. Then I upgraded the hardware, and the mic is working fine on the new Macbook Pro (M1), but now the mouse lags and jitters all over the screen when using both mouse & buds+.

Feb 9, 2022 1:26 PM in response to brandt179

Mine is a little different.

When i am on a Zoom (often) and I decide to put in my Galaxy buds plus because I forgot to before the video conference, I can't hear anything and no one can hear me.

I check the sound settings and even those are put in place correctly. I just can't hear anything AND it happens a lot while I'm on phone calls.

It's driving me crazy and I can't figure it out... Also using the Monterey latest update.

Mar 4, 2022 2:28 PM in response to Ken_Sherwood

There is a potential solution: Check your Sound settings, Input, and look at the input volume for your BT earbuds. I was in a Zoom meeting and I saw that the mic volume decreased almost to ZERO. Hence, nobody could hear me. As soon as I increased the mic volume, everything was OK. This happened while I was in the meeting.

I solved the issue (at least with Zoom) by turning off the "Automatically adjust microphone volume" in Zoom Settings -> Audio.

Mar 10, 2022 12:48 AM in response to brandt179

I have the same issue with galaxy buds live+ and from what I figured when you go to the "System preferences > Sound" and select "input" tab you will notice that while you will be talking the "input volume" will slowly decrease to 0... when you move volume slider back to 100% you will be able to use your microphone from your headphones and ppl will hear you but it won't stop it from decreasing all over again...

Bluetooth earbuds mic stops working after a few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.