Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar search not working in new MacBook Pro 2021 running Monterey 12.01

All searches in the calendar app come up with zero results. All I see is "TODAY" in red letters, then "No Results." I've had it for about a week and this is the first time I've tried to search. I rely on this feature a lot.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 2:20 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 2:20 PM in response to loisdeboid

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 28, 2021 2:19 PM in response to Old Toad

I also submit that this does not work. I believe Apple is aware of the problem, but haven't figured out how to fix it. One cannot search events prior to the time when one began using Calendar in their new OS. I have the new M1 iMac, and discovered the problem prior to Monterey 12.01. I hoped 12.01 would include the fix, and it seemed for a moment it did, but then back to no search. I can search events added since getting my iMac up and running, but not those prior to that.

Jan 5, 2022 7:32 PM in response to loisdeboid

I just finished an online chat with Apple. The only thing that worked was reindexing spotlight, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716. Be sure to drag "Macintosh HD" into the window and then highlight it and click the minus sign to remove it. This will allow spotlight to completely reindex which takes some time (searching on spotlight will show the amount of time left). When finished, restart the computer and you should be fine.

Nov 24, 2021 10:22 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the reply. I tried searching the calendar in safe mode and it still didn't work. I'm not even 100% sure I was really in safe mode because, although I followed the instructions, it looked exactly the same as regular mode and didn't take anywhere near 3-5 minutes to start up. I haven't had to use safe mode since Windows 2000 (yeah, I'm old) and never on an Apple laptop, so I really didn't know what to expect. Did you end up having to reinstall the Monterey OS, or did safe mode do the trick for you? And were you using a new laptop that had Monterey pre-installed on it, as I am? I'm hesitant to reinstall the OS, but I really need my calendar search back.

Nov 24, 2021 6:56 PM in response to Old Toad

I did, although I'm not sure what you mean by progress bar. I saw the options menu, clicked on my drive, and held down the shift key until I was asked to sign in twice. I tried removing startup objects in the main account but it made no difference. Another thing I tried was setting up a new user account to see if I had the same problem, and I didn't - the calendar search worked just fine. I'm stumped, although I suppose I could just start using the new account instead?

Nov 29, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Old Toad

Ok, I have done everything exactly as you described (thank you!), successfully entered safe mode, and the problem persists in that account.  I got zero search results for dates both past and future. However, I also created another admin account just to see what would happen, and the calendar search worked just fine both in and out of safe mode. I also remove start up items as advised by Apple. I'm even more reluctant to reinstall the OS now because a) I'm not confident in my ability not to muck it up, and b) it seems to me that there is something else going on in the settings of my original account but haven't a clue what it could be. Any suggestions would be welcome, but I think this might be a "personal" problem at this point.

Dec 1, 2021 3:46 PM in response to Old Toad

My wife's new M1 MacBook Air running 12.0.1 has also lost the ability to search and she is desperate to get it working again. I saw the suggestion to rebuild the Spotlight Index, and had her try her calendar event search in Spotlight. This worked and brought all of the events she was looking for. So at least that is a work around for people. The one search she did was very specific. I'm thinking that you may have to select events and alerts as the only thing for Spotlight to search if you intend to use this workaround extensively. In the meantime, I wold like to rebuild the events and alerts database. But which file does this reside in?

Lownote

Houston, TX

Dec 4, 2021 5:34 PM in response to loisdeboid

This is not a personal problem. Quite a number of people have experienced it over a number of years, actually, in one form or device or another. Quite a number of people also working on a solution, but so far it seems pretty illusive. No simple solution until a solution is found, then there is a collective, "Oh...that works!"

Dec 11, 2021 7:03 AM in response to leoniefromportola valley

I've tried everything suggested and nothing worked. The only thing that helped a little was doing a spotlight search, but one search came up with only 2 of at least 6 meetings in the future and none in the past. The other came up with no results for a doctor's appointment that recurs every 3 months. I do now believe that this is something Apple needs to know about.. This is the first and last time I buy a newly released laptop. I've always had the sense to wait until after at least one update before buying until now.

Jan 4, 2022 3:57 AM in response to loisdeboid

This issue still applies to my newly set up MacBook Pro 2021 running Monterey 4th Jan 2022. The search is not working on the apple calendar, nor on the fantastical 2 calendar I use. The spotlight search is a sort of workaround but not as good as the proper calendar search function when it works. The search function still works on my iPhone & iPad calendars which is an additional work around. How do we flag to apple that the software needs fixing? Being able to search for appointments is important to my work.

Jan 5, 2022 3:05 PM in response to ethicsconsult

Updating seems to have helped with repeating appointments, but it is far from perfect at finding others. I'm not sure about this yet, but apparently it only searches back to September, when I got this new computer. Nothing before then shows up in the results. I've never had any trouble with an Apple computer before, but this one is a mess in many ways.

Feb 22, 2022 10:23 AM in response to pshill84

I searched for a past doctor's name and am able to search back to 2012 when I first started seeing him. So, I'm ok with 12.2.1. I was, when working on this problem, introduced to EtreCheck, an analysis tool that generated a list of items that might cause problems or conflicts. By pecking away at the little things first, I worked my way through the list, deleting possibilities. So, that may have been a part of my solution. Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions.

Calendar search not working in new MacBook Pro 2021 running Monterey 12.01

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.