Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air repair

Good Day

I have a Macbook that I am busy with repairs .

The macbook air modei is a 2011 . I have tried repair using the internet and it times out by saying Cannot download components. I have also tried downloading an image and burning it to external drive it shows up as bootable how ever when I press the option key I cannot choose to boot to the external recovery drive. IT was origionally shipped with MACOSX Lion and I would like to upgrade it to MACOSX Sirreia I dont have another MAC so I used transmac to put the dmg file onto the recovery drive .

Please assist. The system will only boot to internet recovery nothing else . TIme and date change does not help

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 5:47 PM

The only reliable way to create a bootable macOS USB installer is by using the instructions in this Apple article which requires using a compatible Mac:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Other third party utilities don't seem to work well these days. You may also want to try using a different USB stick since the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor plus Macs are very picky about the drives used for booting.

Your best option if you don't have access to another compatible Mac is to use Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to attempt to boot to the online macOS 10.13 installer. Sometimes even using this key combination will only boot to the installer for the OS which originally shipped from the factory (or the oldest version still available online).

Keep in mind if you are trying to run First Aid on the drive, then you will need to boot into the macOS 10.13 installer since older versions of macOS won't be able to properly repair the file system since there may be some new features that the older OS won't recognize. If you are booting to a macOS 10.13 installer, then within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Run First Aid on the hidden Container. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report looking for any unfixed errors. If any unfixed errors are listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

If you want to perform a clean install it will require erasing the whole drive before re-installing macOS. If you boot to the macOS 10.13 installer, then you will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive which should be called something like "Apple SSD...." and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). If you are booted from a macOS 10.6 to 10.10 installer, then you will need to partition and format the physical drive using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

You may want to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You also may want to try booting into Safe Mode in case the issue is due to some third party software that is installed. Safe Mode also deletes some temp & cache files which can sometimes affect booting.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 5:47 PM in response to RST21

The only reliable way to create a bootable macOS USB installer is by using the instructions in this Apple article which requires using a compatible Mac:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Other third party utilities don't seem to work well these days. You may also want to try using a different USB stick since the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor plus Macs are very picky about the drives used for booting.

Your best option if you don't have access to another compatible Mac is to use Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to attempt to boot to the online macOS 10.13 installer. Sometimes even using this key combination will only boot to the installer for the OS which originally shipped from the factory (or the oldest version still available online).

Keep in mind if you are trying to run First Aid on the drive, then you will need to boot into the macOS 10.13 installer since older versions of macOS won't be able to properly repair the file system since there may be some new features that the older OS won't recognize. If you are booting to a macOS 10.13 installer, then within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Run First Aid on the hidden Container. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok" click "Show Details" and manually scroll back through the report looking for any unfixed errors. If any unfixed errors are listed, then you will need to erase the whole physical drive before restoring from a backup or clone.

If you want to perform a clean install it will require erasing the whole drive before re-installing macOS. If you boot to the macOS 10.13 installer, then you will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive which should be called something like "Apple SSD...." and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). If you are booted from a macOS 10.6 to 10.10 installer, then you will need to partition and format the physical drive using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

You may want to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You also may want to try booting into Safe Mode in case the issue is due to some third party software that is installed. Safe Mode also deletes some temp & cache files which can sometimes affect booting.

Macbook air repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.