Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone (iOS15.0.2) does not appear under 'Locations' (OS Catalina) on my iMac.

Recently my iPhone 12 mini does not appear in the 'Locations' list in my Mac finder, or anywhere else.

The iPhone is connected OK, since 'Photos' opens when I connect and it displays current files.

I've restarted both the Mac and the iPhone and it doesn't help.

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Ed in Brooklyn

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 8:40 AM

Hello, Ed. Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. You’ve come to the right place to get help with managing how your connected devices appear in the Finder on your Mac. 

We understand that your iPhone appears to connect with your Mac as you would expect, but that you are not seeing your iPhone in the Finder sidebar. We know that being able to access your iPhone this way must be useful to you and we can certainly help you research any possible solutions. 

To get started on this, we would first suggest that you check your Finder preferences to be sure the items you want to see in the sidebar are enabled. From the Finder preferences, you can select items that you want to be included in the sidebar. The following Apple Support article has instructions for this: 

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

You may also find helpful information in these last two articles: 

If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar when connected to Mac - Apple Support

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

We hope that the information in our reply here helps you get back to accessing your iPhone as you would like from the Finder on your Mac. Please reply back here if you would like more help with this. 

Have a great day! 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Edward M. Baum

Hello, Ed. Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. You’ve come to the right place to get help with managing how your connected devices appear in the Finder on your Mac. 

We understand that your iPhone appears to connect with your Mac as you would expect, but that you are not seeing your iPhone in the Finder sidebar. We know that being able to access your iPhone this way must be useful to you and we can certainly help you research any possible solutions. 

To get started on this, we would first suggest that you check your Finder preferences to be sure the items you want to see in the sidebar are enabled. From the Finder preferences, you can select items that you want to be included in the sidebar. The following Apple Support article has instructions for this: 

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

You may also find helpful information in these last two articles: 

If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar when connected to Mac - Apple Support

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

We hope that the information in our reply here helps you get back to accessing your iPhone as you would like from the Finder on your Mac. Please reply back here if you would like more help with this. 

Have a great day! 

iPhone (iOS15.0.2) does not appear under 'Locations' (OS Catalina) on my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.