Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Read Contents of the iPhone

Just noticed that there is a problem with MacOS and/or IOS

I had connected my iphone (iphone 11 running ios 15.1) to my Mac (IMac running Catalina 10.15.7) over cable to manage music, but not able to; get this error in Finder

The contents of the iPhone “iPhone” could not be read. Click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.

AND, not able to do a backup first. I REALLY do not want to restore to factory settings.

How do I get around this glitch?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 3:08 PM

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post, my friend.

Unfortunately, since rebooting the devices did not solve the problem, I have to say that restoring the iPhone to factory settings is probably the best option. You say you were finally able to get an iPhone back done, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Try these in order:

• 1) - Use another known-to-be-good sync cable between the iPhone and Mac, (buy a new on if necessary) and see if that takes care of the problem.

• 2) - Reboot the Mac in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient. How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Safe mode forces the macOS to do housekeeping chores and often resolves issues. Restart the Mac again normally and reevaluate the problem.

• 3) - Restore the iPhone to factory settings and reevaluate the problem again. If the problem is gone, restore the iPhone from the last backup and reevaluate once more.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 3:08 PM in response to dkbrook

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post, my friend.

Unfortunately, since rebooting the devices did not solve the problem, I have to say that restoring the iPhone to factory settings is probably the best option. You say you were finally able to get an iPhone back done, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Try these in order:

• 1) - Use another known-to-be-good sync cable between the iPhone and Mac, (buy a new on if necessary) and see if that takes care of the problem.

• 2) - Reboot the Mac in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient. How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. Safe mode forces the macOS to do housekeeping chores and often resolves issues. Restart the Mac again normally and reevaluate the problem.

• 3) - Restore the iPhone to factory settings and reevaluate the problem again. If the problem is gone, restore the iPhone from the last backup and reevaluate once more.

Nov 28, 2021 10:11 AM in response to dkbrook

You did well to resolve the problem, my friend. 👍🏽

It's not surprising that a reboot of those devices resolved the problem. It's also not surprising that one or the other of the devices had developed some glitch in the time that it had been on and operational. It happens.

It's considered best practice to reboot any computer - yes, the iPhone is a computer - at least once a week to allow the OS to do housekeeping chores, self cleaning and file management.

Cannot Read Contents of the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.