Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken Female Headphone Connection on my Ipad 7th gen

I recently got some studio headphones, AKG K52s, and when i tried plugging them into my ipad i noticed that the 3,5 connection on my ipad ( 7th Gen ) wasn't making a proper connection, i tested to see if the headphones were the problem but they weren't ( Tried it on a computer and they connected and worked properly ) so i suspect the female connector is somehow worn out, the headphone jack was very loose when i put it in and wiggled around and even came off very easily.

is this a common problem and is there any other solution other than sending it off for repair?

Im considering buying a lightning cable ( headphone jack to "charger" connector ) and using that as a possible fix but i'm not sure.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:36 AM

Are you sure that your headphones are correctly wired for your iPad? There are different wiring standards for TRRS connections.

In general, there are three main wiring standards for 3.5mm TTRS connections - and they are not interchangeable:

• CTIA (Apple)
  • OMTP (Nokia)
  • Camcorder AV

Also be aware that some iPad cases, if used, can obstruct full insertion of the 3.5mm plug in the iPad’s headphone jack.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 9:36 AM in response to FunnyTwitterPerson

Are you sure that your headphones are correctly wired for your iPad? There are different wiring standards for TRRS connections.

In general, there are three main wiring standards for 3.5mm TTRS connections - and they are not interchangeable:

• CTIA (Apple)
  • OMTP (Nokia)
  • Camcorder AV

Also be aware that some iPad cases, if used, can obstruct full insertion of the 3.5mm plug in the iPad’s headphone jack.

Nov 30, 2021 10:10 AM in response to LotusPilot

Your points led me to a solution and the root of the problem but it wasn't what you mentioned directly;

The headphone, because it is only used for audio, is actually TRS ( which is why it worked on the laptop i tested it on ), so i only need a TRS to TTRS adaptor which i probably have somewhere in my bag of random "Dongles".

Thanks for the help!

Broken Female Headphone Connection on my Ipad 7th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.