Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently disconnect my AirPods from my Macbook?

I want to disconnect them from my MBP but continue to use them with my iPhone and iPad. The issue is that as soon as I tell my MBP to forget them, and reconnect them to my iPhone, they also reconnect to the MBP. It is almost like the connect or disconnect state is shared across all 3 devices.

I have followed the articles on disconnecting the AirPods so I know I am doing that correctly on both my MBP and iPhone. I have also followed the instructions in the article on resetting the AirPods. Makes no difference.

For a bit more background, the scenario is that I have music playing on the MBP going out the 3.5mm audio jack for a Christmas display that is synched to the music, running constantly. If I put the AirPods in my ears, the MBP switches the music output to them, and I lose music to the display and the lights quit.

So I am hoping to force the AirPods to stay disconnected from my MBP.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 8:21 AM

I am just using the old wired EarPods on my iPhone. that seems to be the only way around this. Disappointing that when you buy into the Apple ecosystem you are forced to use all their technology together ALL the time.

(Don't get me stared on the difficulty of getting music onto my iPhone - why did Apple disable drag and drop - it was so simple! apple used to be all about ease of use. In fact, I am now going to look at Android phones next fall - that will fix both the Airpods and music load issues.)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 8:21 AM in response to MilesBFree

I am just using the old wired EarPods on my iPhone. that seems to be the only way around this. Disappointing that when you buy into the Apple ecosystem you are forced to use all their technology together ALL the time.

(Don't get me stared on the difficulty of getting music onto my iPhone - why did Apple disable drag and drop - it was so simple! apple used to be all about ease of use. In fact, I am now going to look at Android phones next fall - that will fix both the Airpods and music load issues.)

Dec 2, 2021 6:56 AM in response to MilesBFree

This issue poses a risk of problems at work; e.g., I connected to a web conference but as soon as I put in my AirPods, the MBP switched music output to the headphones (I was using a dial-up for audio in the web conference with my iPhone and AirPods connected to it). I changed audio output on my MBP back to the built-in speaker jack but accidentally switched it to external USB speakers instead and music started playing over the speakers. While I was reconnecting the AirPods to my iPhone the rest of the people on the web conference heard the music picked up by the iPhone's mic for like 30 seconds since it was sitting right next to the external speakers on my desk.

While it was my accident that switched the music to the external speakers, I wouldn't have had to do that if the stupid MBP hadn't automatically switched the audio to the AirPods.

Dec 2, 2021 7:18 AM in response to MilesBFree

One more data point: on the MBP, when I go to Preferences ---> Bluetooth and change the setting for the AirPods from Connect automatically every time, to Only connect if they were connected last time, it really messes up the iPhone's connection to the AirPods. They disappear from the Audio option on the iPhone and I can't reconnect them to it without a lot of hassle including resetting and re-adding them to the iPhone's BT.

Which immediately adds them back on the MBP and makes them connect to the MBP instead of the iPhone as soon as I put them in my ears.

How do I permanently disconnect my AirPods from my Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.