Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Remote Permanent Volume Up IR Sending

Hi,

I already found this topic in older questions with no solution. My Apple TV Siri Remote (Series 2) started to send Volume Up permanently to my TV. Also some IR controlled Toys of my kids are reacting on the signal. It is not even stopping when I turn of my Apple TV. Disabling IR in the settings of my ATV doesn‘t do anything. IR is still blasting. Is there a way to reset the remote itself?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 11:32 AM

I had the same problem and fixed it. Same constant volume up from the new Siri remote. Out of nowhere this started happening. I tried everything. I thought maybe it needed charged. Nope. I tried unpairing it but couldn't. Reboot AppleTV. Unplug/plug in. Nope. Nothing.

So I started pressing random button combinations. FINALLY pressing the menu (button with the tv icon) and the down volume and holding them for about 5 or 10 seconds. The little blue light on my tv stopped blinking! I let go of the buttons and blue light on my tv was no longer blinking! Everything is now back to normal.

So that is what did it for me. Maybe it will do it for you! Obviously some kind of bug in the software that needs addressed.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 11:32 AM in response to __phil__

I had the same problem and fixed it. Same constant volume up from the new Siri remote. Out of nowhere this started happening. I tried everything. I thought maybe it needed charged. Nope. I tried unpairing it but couldn't. Reboot AppleTV. Unplug/plug in. Nope. Nothing.

So I started pressing random button combinations. FINALLY pressing the menu (button with the tv icon) and the down volume and holding them for about 5 or 10 seconds. The little blue light on my tv stopped blinking! I let go of the buttons and blue light on my tv was no longer blinking! Everything is now back to normal.

So that is what did it for me. Maybe it will do it for you! Obviously some kind of bug in the software that needs addressed.

Mar 16, 2022 10:39 AM in response to MajorApple

This needs to be much more clearly highlighted on Apple support - if you have an Apple TV remote - perform a reset with the Home button (TV Icon) and the volume down for 5-10 seconds - in a support article it mentions that it resets the remote - but it should be it's own standalone article - I had an Android TV (Sony OLED) - that was going in and out of talking assistant mode because of the Apply TV remote. I reset my entire configuration, removed the network, etc. I am very frustrated.

Mar 27, 2022 11:26 AM in response to __phil__

I had the same problem and holding the menu/volume minus reset the remote. This is quite a serious problem, especially if you have a high powered home theater connected to your system. The remote just blasts a continuous IR volume up stream just about blowing your speakers. Until you either cover the infared sender on remote or take to to another room. Volume keeps going up until you realize what is going on. Come on Apple this needs fixed.

Dec 14, 2021 5:06 PM in response to __phil__

I had this exact problem. It started after all the sound stopped abruptly in the middle of an Apple Fitness workout. (I have two home pod minis connected for sound -- I do not use the TV's speakers.) I stopped the workout and navigated to Settings, and suddenly the volume of the TV shot up uncontrollably to 100 and stayed there. My TV shows a light when it's receiving an IR signal, and it was being blasted by the Apple Siri remote. Covering the front of the remote stopped it, so it's clearly IR.

None of the troubleshooting steps in Apple Support worked. Turning off all the CEC, IR, etc. stuff didn't work. The remote was stuck blasting an IR signal continuously.

In desperation, tonight I updated to tvOS 15.2 (19K53) and the IR blasting stopped. I have no idea if the update fixed it or just restarting the Apple TV fixed it. And I have no idea if it will stay fixed.

I'm posting this in hopes that other people find this information useful.

Apr 10, 2022 4:15 AM in response to __phil__

Same here, drove me nuts. Did the troubleshooting, unplugging, rebooting and nothing. I have a LG CX hooked with hdmi to the ATV. Weirdly I took the tv remote and muted the volume while covering the atv remote infrared. Was just hoping to pause this madness and stop have the now overly loud and atv “swap” sound blasting through the tv.

it seemed to stop it because when I let go of the atv remote it was no longer rising the volume.

May 30, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Golf4man

Diagnosing this issue is the hard part, fixing it is easy. I wasted a lot of time isolating various parts of my home entertainment setup, as the symptom simply was that my TV volume kept increasing to 100% no matter what I did.

I almost blew my speakers several times today. Also disturbed my neighbors with uncontrollable high volume from TV several times.

I have never experienced an errant IR device like this, spontaneously interfering with other devices.

I agree that Apple should amplify this common issue, and find a fix for it.

Dec 5, 2021 8:11 AM in response to __phil__

Hi __phil__,

It sounds like your Apple TV remote is continually raising the volume to your Apple TV. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some assistance.

You mentioned trying some troubleshooting already including disabling the Infrared Receiver. Before disabling IR, did you have the chance to try any of the steps in, If your Apple TV remote isn’t working? Let's enable IR again and go over those steps because they might help. 

If you continue to experience issues after following the steps and suggestions above, please contact Apple Support for additional assistance: Get Support. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Sep 8, 2022 11:09 AM in response to MajorApple

@MajorApple,

Thank you so much for posting this. I had this problem out of the blue and couldn't figure it out. I was assuming it was going to be a hardware issue but tried a Hail Mary searching the internet.

I've always been leery of discussion board answers and so I took this answer with a big, skeptical grain of salt and gave it a try. It worked PERFECTLY!

So thank you again for sharing! You've restored my faith in finding answers on the internet.

Sep 16, 2022 5:38 AM in response to scockx

Thanks for posting this fix. Out of the blue, mine started to transmit IR commands continuously as my IR repeater was showing constant activity. I didn’t even realize this remote will control the TV but it kept bringing up voice commands on my television and it was driving me crazy. The above recommendation corrected the issue after about six seconds of holding the two buttons down.

Apple TV Remote Permanent Volume Up IR Sending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.