Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Group Join Limit

Hi, I’m unable to join my family’s Family Sharing group, as I’ve reached the join limit, which I was not made aware of. I’ll be unable to join or create a family for ~300 days.

I have reached that limit because I have to leave my Family Sharing group to use my own payment method for in-app purchased. There is no way to use my own payment method, only the shared payment method.

I have spoken to Customer Support for hours and the engineering department says they cannot reset this limit or add me to the Family Sharing group. Has anyone had a similar issue, had it resolved or have advice?

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 8:04 PM

https://support.apple.com/HT201088

"Remember, you can only join one family at a time, and you can only switch to a different family group once per year." June 2021

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

D. "Family Sharing Rules: You can only belong to one Family at a time, and may join any Family no more than twice per year. You can change the Apple ID you associate with a Family no more than once every 90 days. All Family members must share the same Home Country."

If official Apple supposrt can't help you then there's nothing anybody else can that will, sorry.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 8:04 PM in response to WockDoc

https://support.apple.com/HT201088

"Remember, you can only join one family at a time, and you can only switch to a different family group once per year." June 2021

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html

D. "Family Sharing Rules: You can only belong to one Family at a time, and may join any Family no more than twice per year. You can change the Apple ID you associate with a Family no more than once every 90 days. All Family members must share the same Home Country."

If official Apple supposrt can't help you then there's nothing anybody else can that will, sorry.

Dec 8, 2021 7:22 AM in response to Limnos

The Family Sharing webpage says “switch to a different family group once per year”, but I’ve only ever tried to join the same family. And of course I haven't gone through the T&C. Had it been obvious, then its my fault. No prob. But it was not.

It has been resolved in the past for many, noted on this very website. “sjthone” had a very popular post on the matter, with resolutions by support claimed within the replies.

Dec 8, 2021 9:01 AM in response to WockDoc

WockDoc wrote:

I have reached that limit because I have to leave my Family Sharing group to use my own payment method for in-app purchased. There is no way to use my own payment method, only the shared payment method.

It shouldn't be necessary to leave and then rejoin the group each time you make a purchase. You can add credit to your account, which wherever possible will be used ahead of the family organizer's registered payment method. Alternatively you make the purchase and pay the organizer for anything they're not prepared to cover.

tt2

Dec 8, 2021 12:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately, my family organizer does not allow me use of the shared payment method without approval and they are a merchant mariner who typically does not have cell service for weeks at a time.

There are 2 methods of adding funds to an Apple ID: by using a card or “payment method”, which I mentioned I cannot use my own card for while in the family group, and iTunes gift cards, which I don't always have access to and typically begin at much higher quantities than I ever use in a year anyway.

All of this would not be an issue if I could simply add my own payment method while in a Family Group. Or expand the utilization of the Wallet app to in-app purchases.

Dec 8, 2021 1:26 PM in response to turingtest2

My family shares an Apple One subscription. I should not have to forego the benefits of joining them so I can add and use my own payment methods on my Apple ID. A very simple sentiment that I believe everyone would agree with. I believe this to be an oversight, not by design. Multiple Senior Advisors have failed to understand why this and a Family join limit exists, as well.

Thank you for your input though, it has allowed me to distill my argument. My hope and stated intent for posting is that someone has experienced the same issues and can share their experience and maybe a solution.

Dec 8, 2021 1:36 PM in response to WockDoc

WockDoc wrote:

and iTunes gift cards, which I don't always have access to and typically begin at much higher quantities than I ever use in a year anyway.

These seem like kind of mutually contradictory problems. If the cards come in denominations higher than you spend in a year, putting one on your account would seem to assure you had plenty of funds for a long time. If you normally spend, for example, $20 a year in the iTunes store, get a $25 card. When your balance drops to $5, start looking around for another one. It's not a perfect system but it's not incredibly onerous.

I've seen cards in $15 and $25 denominations quite frequently.

Family Group Join Limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.