Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic

I m having below Error Logs for long time. my Mac always restart because of that. Can anyone help diagnose the issue?

macbook 12', Early 2016. Mojave 10.15.6

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 8:05 AM

The kernel panic is not telling me too much

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800aedbadd): Kernel trap at 0xffffff800adfba5c, type 14=page fault

A kernel trap page fault panic can related to many things. Sometimes memory, but you have Apple provided RAM which tends to be very good. Sometimes it is software related, but you do not have any 3rd party kernel extensions, which make it less likely a software problem from outside of Apple.

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
 com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOReportFamily

is in the Bluetooth subsystem. While I've never seen a panic in the Bluetooth subsystem, it is always possible, that whatever bluetooth device you have attached is using a slightly off protocol message that has uncovered a bug in the Bluetooth drivers.

But as most Bluetooth devices just use a standard Bluetooth chip, it is low probability. However, you should review all your Bluetooth devices, and if you have 3rd party devices, see if disconnecting and powering off those devices helps.

• keyboards
  • mice
  • trackpads
  • headphones
  • speakers
  • AirTags
  • smart watches
  • etc...

Also if you can think of what Bluetooth devices have been active when you receive the panic, it might help you.

Also if you have more than 1 panic it would be good to look at the "Kernel Extensions in backtrace" in each and verify it is always Bluetooth.

If it is not always Bluetooth, then that might lead to a stronger argument for failing RAM.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 8:05 AM in response to esimsek

The kernel panic is not telling me too much

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff800aedbadd): Kernel trap at 0xffffff800adfba5c, type 14=page fault

A kernel trap page fault panic can related to many things. Sometimes memory, but you have Apple provided RAM which tends to be very good. Sometimes it is software related, but you do not have any 3rd party kernel extensions, which make it less likely a software problem from outside of Apple.

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
 com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOReportFamily

is in the Bluetooth subsystem. While I've never seen a panic in the Bluetooth subsystem, it is always possible, that whatever bluetooth device you have attached is using a slightly off protocol message that has uncovered a bug in the Bluetooth drivers.

But as most Bluetooth devices just use a standard Bluetooth chip, it is low probability. However, you should review all your Bluetooth devices, and if you have 3rd party devices, see if disconnecting and powering off those devices helps.

• keyboards
  • mice
  • trackpads
  • headphones
  • speakers
  • AirTags
  • smart watches
  • etc...

Also if you can think of what Bluetooth devices have been active when you receive the panic, it might help you.

Also if you have more than 1 panic it would be good to look at the "Kernel Extensions in backtrace" in each and verify it is always Bluetooth.

If it is not always Bluetooth, then that might lead to a stronger argument for failing RAM.

Dec 8, 2021 1:58 AM in response to esimsek

esimsek wrote:

I m having below Error Logs for long time. my Mac always restart because of that. Can anyone help diagnose the issue?
macbook 12', Early 2016. Mojave 10.15.6
<error logs.log>

Not too good at reading Panic Reports.

Panic Reports are usually related to Hardware or some Third Party Extension that is causing the issue

This Application is Safe to use and an alternative to Panic Reports.

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Dec 8, 2021 9:52 AM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for your reply.

i was having this problem before and i got my mac to apple support. They said software problem and install mac os mojave. After i got from apple it worked 1-2 days without a problem after then had the same error. Actually i dont have any 3rd party bluetooth device or something else and I did not install any program. However i still have this error and i cant use my mac. Probably hardware problem. I guess i will take it to apple again.

Dec 8, 2021 10:53 AM in response to esimsek

Again, if you have more panic reports, cross check the kernel traceback reports to see if they are all in the Bluetooth drivers, which would strongly indicate something related to Bluetooth, which could be on the motherboard, not just external Bluetooth devices.

But if the other panic reports are jumping all over the place, then failing RAM, or something else wrong on the motherboard.

That could be useful information when you send it back to Apple for repair. Or as this system is out of warranty, and apple care (or at least I think it would be out of apple care), you could look at the repair price and make the new vs repair decision.

Kernel Panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.