MacBook Pro kernel panic

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and running latest version of Monterey.

In the last two weeks, my laptop initiates a restart quite frequently.

I have attached the error message.

Any thoughts?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 8:46 AM

To get a better idea on what is running at startup, your best option would be to download EtreCheck and run the free one time scan and post the results here using the "Additional Text" option.

EtreCheck

There are usually just 2 reasons for a Kernel Panic:

• Software Conflict
  • Hardware Issue
12 replies

Jun 5, 2023 7:41 PM in response to Paul_blue

There is no doubt you are still being plagued by the Symantec/Norton LifeLock files. Not sure if you ran the uninstaller supplied when it was installed. Here is a Norton Site for removing Norton files if you are unable to find the installer, but not sure if it will remove all the files you have.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080427024142EN

In addition to this, I can provide you some places to look for the files to delete. You will first need to start up in Safe Mode. Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

You will then want to make sure the Finder is visible and choose Go > Go to Folder, and go to these locations. Make sure to include the "~" if it is shown. Delete all files/folders with the names: Symantec, Norton, LifeLock:

• /Library/Application Support
  • /Library/Extensions
  • /Library/LaunchAgents
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons
  • /Library/StartupItems
  • /Library/SystemExtensions
  • ~/Library/Application Support
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • Also look in your Applications folder

There won't be files to delete in all these locations, but not sure which Norton package you have installed and where they would put the files. Norton sometimes installed a Kernel Extension that is very hard to remove, but I would first remove all of the other Symantec/Norton files.

MalwareBytes is an excellent program to use for Malware detection and is highly recommended, but I still would not have it run constantly and would recommend uninstalling it as well. It has not been shown to be a problem, but you do not have Malware, so there is no need for it to be running. I have recommended it for a one time scan in Malware detection many times on these forums, but not to be running all the time.

You will need to run and post EtreCheck again to see if anything is still running on launch. I know this is a lot of work and if you find it easier to do a Clean Install, I understand. You would not be able to restore from backup, as these files would return. The purpose is to determine if it is a Software Conflict or Hardware Issue and by far the worst case would be a Hardware Issue.

Jun 7, 2023 8:19 PM in response to Paul_blue

Since you were able to uninstall Norton/Symantec and are still having crashes, it is looking more like a hardware issue. Since it does appear you have a backup, and if not make sure you do, the only thing left to try for a software issue is a Clean Install. I would try the Clean Install first without restoring the files from your backup and if the issue persists, then it is definitely a Hardware issue. If the problem clears up, then you can try restoring from your backup to see it it returns. If it returns after restoring from backup, then there is some other software saved in your backup that is causing the conflict.

There is a Hardware test you can do yourself by following this link:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If that gives you any error codes, you can find what they mean by going here:

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

Jun 10, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Paul_blue

The Kernel Panic report provides very little info. Apple engineers use a decoder that may provide useful information for them, but for us it does not help. The Diagnostic report can provide clues using the codes it gives. You are on the right track doing a Clean Install to eliminate a software problem and is a step that would be done by Apple anyway.

Jun 10, 2023 9:27 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

the oldest crash report in the digest inside your most recently posted Etrecheck report is from the 7th. all others are older, so you may have solved the thing that was giving you kernel panics.

MalwareBytes has the best respected third-party malware detector, but once you have run it ONCE, there is no point in keeping it checking your files all the time. turn that feature OFF.

this is damaged:

Clean up:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.cisco.anyconnect.ciscod.plist

/opt/cisco/hostscan/bin/ciscod

Executable not found

the way to make sure you don't lose important files is to keep your backups up-to-date. if you allow Time Machine to run, it will do that for you, and you don't need disk drill.

this is obsolete:

3rd Party Preference panels:

Perian (? - installed 2018-08-19)

you have too many sharing services, and some are activated at login, where they will try to sync your files, over, and over, and over, and punish performance. launch only when needed, and quite when down:

File providers:

Dropbox - /Applications/Dropbox.app

OneDrive File Provider - /Applications/OneDrive.app

Share services:

Dropbox Transfer - /Applications/Dropbox.app

OneNote - /Applications/Microsoft OneNote.app

Fast Share - /Applications/UnzipOne.app

MacBook Pro kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.