Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orignal HomePods stuck in set up on iOS 15

Hi,

I've been having sporadic volume issues where the volume would suddenly increase when playing music on my two original HomePods. {My HomePod minis do not have this issue.) All of my iOS devices are up to date at iOS 15.1.1. One of the many suggestions that I hadn't tried yet to fix the sudden volume issues was to factory reset my HomePods and re-set them up. Well, I successfully factory reset them (saw the red light, heard the 3 bongs), and my iPhone does seem them as new HomePods to add.

Set up seems to go along just fine: I answer the prompts, enter my appleid password when prompted and then it goes into "Setting up" and stay spinning there. It's been going for over an hour and I know that's wrong.

I now have this issue with trying to re-set up both of my original HomePods.

Things I've also tried:

1. rebooting my iPhone
  2. forgetting and rejoining my WiFi
  3. tried from iPad with same results
  4. reset HomePod again with same results

Is there a known problem with setting original HomePods on iOS 15? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 5:33 PM

That’s a big hammer, but I understand. Factory resetting my HomePods to try to get them to not suddenly and startlingly jump in volume was a big hammer, too, that got me into this situation.

So, before I tried to reset all network connectivity on my phone, I decided to try once more. I have not changed anything since my most recent unsuccessful attempts yesterday. And, knock me over with a feather, it worked. It took less than a minute to connect. So I then tried the second one and it works, too! I have no idea why it worked today when I hadn’t changed or reset anything today!

So set up problem is now mysteriously gone! I have my original HomePods back as a stereo pair playing music at a nice level. I hope they don’t continue to sporadically jump in volume as this was very painful to factory reset them (multiple times, as it turned out, trying to get them back) and reset them back up.

And as for the volume issue, they are in stable locations with nothing moving near them, no direct sunshine or moving shadows, so I hope factory resetting fixed that. I had asked about that issue specifically on this forum a few months back with no responses. And my HomePod minis, that I also have, have never had this volume issue.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 5:33 PM in response to AnnieL2

That’s a big hammer, but I understand. Factory resetting my HomePods to try to get them to not suddenly and startlingly jump in volume was a big hammer, too, that got me into this situation.

So, before I tried to reset all network connectivity on my phone, I decided to try once more. I have not changed anything since my most recent unsuccessful attempts yesterday. And, knock me over with a feather, it worked. It took less than a minute to connect. So I then tried the second one and it works, too! I have no idea why it worked today when I hadn’t changed or reset anything today!

So set up problem is now mysteriously gone! I have my original HomePods back as a stereo pair playing music at a nice level. I hope they don’t continue to sporadically jump in volume as this was very painful to factory reset them (multiple times, as it turned out, trying to get them back) and reset them back up.

And as for the volume issue, they are in stable locations with nothing moving near them, no direct sunshine or moving shadows, so I hope factory resetting fixed that. I had asked about that issue specifically on this forum a few months back with no responses. And my HomePod minis, that I also have, have never had this volume issue.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Dec 10, 2021 4:38 PM in response to lovesmusiclovestodance

lovesmusiclovestodance,

Are you able to launch the Home app and add accessories? If you don't have any that's just fine. Can you just confirm you're able to navigate to the screen in the Home app that would allow you to set one up? Here’s a visual on what you’re looking for, the plus sign at the top right. Add a HomeKit accessory to the Home app

Your Wi-Fi network, is it a private network that isn’t shared by other units and requires unique device credentials? If this is a network that services only your home, then typically that’s not an issue. 

Are you able to power cycle your network hardware? 

If still having an issue, let's also reset the network settings on the device you’re currently trying to set up your HomePod with. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Thanks. 

Dec 10, 2021 5:15 PM in response to lovesmusiclovestodance

lovesmusiclovestodance,

In this instance, what we're attempting to do is reset all network connectivity. In addition to your saved Wi-Fi networks though, the reset impacts those other things.

Should the issue persist at that point, the next thing we'd ask you to do is reach out to Apple directly. You can use the following link to do that - Contact Apple Support

Thank you.

Dec 9, 2021 2:55 PM in response to AnnieL2

Hi Annie,

That's actually a link to this exact thread. However, I did try further things last night to no avail. I also rebooted my router and I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple Support and the person I spoke with was stumped saying I've tried everything that he can find to suggest after we re-stepped through resets and reboots.

I let the "Setting up" keep going last night for 5 hours before I finally stopped it again. There are no errors.... it seems to start the set up just fine and takes my appleID password and then stays stuck in "Setting up".

What else can I try?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2021 5:33 PM in response to lovesmusiclovestodance

lovesmusiclovestodance,

We apologize, on our end that link opens to a support article on troubleshooting setting up HomePod. 

Are you seeing the ‘Setting up’ indicator in the Home app or does that show something else like ‘Configuring’ at any point? 

We know you had the devices set up previously, just want to be sure we cover all our bases since the reset. Do you have both the Music and Home apps installed on your iPhone? Is iCloud Keychain enabled in Settings > your name > iCloud? To confirm, are you using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID? Most likely you do, but that is confirmable in Settings > your name > Password & Security. Are the date and time set to automatic in Settings > General > Date & Time on your iPhone?

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2021 5:45 PM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for getting back to me. My HomePod setup attempts haven’t made it far enough for my HomePods to appear in my Home app again.

Yes, I have both Music and Home apps installed.

Yes, iCloud Keychain is enabled in my iCloud.

Yes, I have 2FA for my AppleID.

Yes, date and time are set to automatic.

Once the Set up pop up appears on my phone (or iPad, depending on which device I’m trying), I answer the prompts and then enter my AppleID password and then “Setting up…” appears and nothing else seems to happen no matter how long I wait (so far, I’ve waited 5 hours one time).

My devices I’m using are an iPhone 11 Pro and an M1 iPad Pro both running latest iOS 15.1 and both of my HomePods are running iOS 15.1.1.

Thanks

Dec 10, 2021 4:54 PM in response to AnnieL2

I do have several other accessories in my home app and I can go through the add accessories screens in the Home app. I’ve even tried that path to re-add my HomePods. I did add an 3rd party accessory just the other day. I’ve since removed it in case that had something to do with this.

My wifi network is my own private network in my home that I control with my own router. And yes, I’ve power cycled my router while trying to re-add my HomePods.

Why would resetting my cellular, vpn and apn settings help to re-add my HomePods over my wifi network? I have reset my wifi network and reentered my wifi password.

Thanks.

Orignal HomePods stuck in set up on iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.