Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy chaining two monitors via Thunderbolt 4 and DisplayPort

I'm trying to connect two Samsung monitors with Display Port MST and USB-C to M1 MacBook Pro, daisy chaining the two monitors via Display Port. When I connect the first monitor via USB, the OS recognises both monitors as being separate and allows me to change their settings, however the the second external monitor only shows mirror feed from the first monitor, even though it is set as extended display in the settings.

I previously had this setup connected to a Windows PC and it worked correctly with the same settings on the monitors.

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 5:24 PM

You can only support daisy-chaining from a Mac over a genuine ThunderBolt cable to a genuine Thunderbolt Display as your first display. (The second display can be connected to any supported display-type port on the first display.)

The reason is that ThunderBolt cables are twice as wide as most other display cables. On other cables, one 4K display at billions of colors saturates the cable, so there is no more room for an entire other display's data. Those other cables are already full at one display.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 5:24 PM in response to milcz

You can only support daisy-chaining from a Mac over a genuine ThunderBolt cable to a genuine Thunderbolt Display as your first display. (The second display can be connected to any supported display-type port on the first display.)

The reason is that ThunderBolt cables are twice as wide as most other display cables. On other cables, one 4K display at billions of colors saturates the cable, so there is no more room for an entire other display's data. Those other cables are already full at one display.

Dec 10, 2021 1:36 PM in response to milcz

Hello milcz! Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you want to connect two Samsung monitors to your MacBook Pro. We'd like to look into this with you to see how we can help. 

Apple provides the following resources to help with setting up external monitors for your Mac: 

Make it a great day!

Daisy chaining two monitors via Thunderbolt 4 and DisplayPort

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.