Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMessage "Tap to Download" Issue

Hi there!

Images in iMessage cannot be dowloaded as after pressing "Tap to Download" nothing happens. This is just happening in my iPhone (my iPad is working well). I've tried to hard reset the iPhone, Sign Out from my AppleID, reset network settings, Sign Out from iCloud and nothing seems to work. Also, I've tried to download all images at one shot with the option inside the iMessage Contact Information section, but also no results.

FYI, I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 15.1.

Hope someone can help me to solve this bothering issue!

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

PacoHunter10

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 5:37 PM

FIXED! I had the same issue.

• Go to Settings.
  • Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
  • Tap Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  • Enter your iPhone passcode.
  • Tap Reset Network Settings to confirm.
  • Go to Settings again.
  • Tap Wi-Fi, then select your network and enter the password.
  • Open iMessage to reload all its content, including pictures.

112 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 5:37 PM in response to PacoHunter10

FIXED! I had the same issue.

• Go to Settings.
  • Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
  • Tap Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  • Enter your iPhone passcode.
  • Tap Reset Network Settings to confirm.
  • Go to Settings again.
  • Tap Wi-Fi, then select your network and enter the password.
  • Open iMessage to reload all its content, including pictures.

Feb 8, 2022 6:16 PM in response to gganne

That Gg in your profile name must stand for Double-Genius. I appears to be working. Very slowly but I have a ton of images. Looks like you saved my memories. My Mother passed away last year and I was scrolling through the text messages we shared so I read our previous conversations and skim through the images, but no images were downloading. I have them now, along with a huge smile on my face and warmth in my heart. Thank you gganne! I'm happy because of you, but disappointed that Apple dropped out of the conversation sometime ago and without a solution. I've been using Apple since Apple was born, and it's disappointing to see that they bailed on this conversation.

Jan 17, 2022 11:29 PM in response to Chris_V89

Chris_V89,

I reached tech support. They recommended to factory reset the iPhone. I did that and that didn’t work. Today, I updated to 15.2.1 hoping this was going to solve the issue, but it didn’t result neither.

Can someone at Apple address this situation, please? As you may read in this thread, there are more users with the same issue that are trying to use this amazing service but are having these horrible experiences.

Looking forward your comments!

Stay safe. Regards,

PacoHunter10

Jan 21, 2022 10:58 AM in response to PacoHunter10

Curious as to if you have discovered a solution. I am having the same issue. Plenty of space on my iphone and I also have the 2TB icloud plan with plenty of space. I have tried logging in and out, updating software etc. Tap to Download does nothing when I click on the link. this seems to be happening with older pics as current ones seems available.

Jan 21, 2022 10:17 PM in response to PacoHunter10

SAME!!! I’m trying to screenshot some older messages before I get a new phone, and some pix are there, but most aren’t. Just the “tap to download” box that does nothing to bring the photos back. I too have tried ALL the troubleshooting options multiple times, even turning icloud backup off for messages so they’ll stop saving in the cloud and download on my phone. I have PLENTY of space, over 40GB. PLEASE somebody fix this problem!

Dec 11, 2021 1:49 PM in response to PacoHunter10

Hey there PacoHunter10,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with downloading photos sent in the Messages app, and we'd be happy to look into what's going on.

To get started, you've done some great troubleshooting to help isolate the issue. Going forward, how much storage space do you have available on your iPhone? If unsure, check out this link that can help with checking your available storage: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you have iCloud Photos enabled, we'd also recommend checking how much iCloud Storage is available to ensure that the issue is not related to insufficient storage: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

If you find that you're low on storage, try freeing up some space using the recommended steps in the same resources above, and let us know if that's able to help.

Have a great day!

Feb 21, 2022 12:23 PM in response to PacoHunter10

Assuming it isn't a storage capacity issue, I believe you may have already downloaded the pictures once and deleted them but if they are still in your deleted pictures folder still you can't download the same picture unless you delete the picture for the deleted pictures folder, of course you could just restore it at that point. It would be nice if apple at least provided a message indicting it didn't download instead of nothing.

This didn't used to be an issue and only seems to have come up in one of the most recent updates.

Feb 7, 2022 8:18 PM in response to Ibadan

Just read a suggestion from gganne that worked for me. Go into your ICloud and toggle messages off. A pop up will appear which tells you all of your messages have not been downloaded. Select disable and download. Then toggle messages on. Go to your messages app and at the bottom you should see “downloading messages from iCloud”. I suggest being on Wifi while doing so. It took about 10 minutes for my messages to download. I was able to retrieve my picture messages again. Hope it helps you also

iMessage "Tap to Download" Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.