Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open AirPort Time Capsule folder

My home wifi network is generated by my tall Air Port Time Capsule. I want to access files on the networked attached storage in the Time Capsule. When I double-click on the name of the TC in the sidebar of a Finder window, the TC window opens and shows the folder, called Tall TC Disk. But when I try to open this, the beach ball cranks for a couple of minutes and then I get a window telling me "The operation can't be completed because the original item for 'Tall TC Disk can't be found."

Do I have to rename something? How?

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 6:20 PM

When I double-click on the name of the TC in the sidebar of a Finder window, the TC window opens and shows the folder, called Tall TC Disk. But when I try to open this, the beach ball cranks for a couple of minutes and then I get a window telling me "The operation can't be completed because the original item for 'Tall TC Disk can't be found."

The default name of the Time Capsule disk is "Data". Did you change the name from "Data" to "Tall TC Disk" at some point?

If you have not already tried the steps below a few times, please give them a try.

Power off the Time Capsule

Shut down your Mac

Wait a minute

Start up the Mac and let it run for a full minute

Start up the Time Capsule and let it run a full minute

Try the operation again

If still no luck, it may be necessary to try to manually access the disk on the Time Capsule by using the Finder "Go" > "Connect to Server" command.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 6:20 PM in response to hlritter

When I double-click on the name of the TC in the sidebar of a Finder window, the TC window opens and shows the folder, called Tall TC Disk. But when I try to open this, the beach ball cranks for a couple of minutes and then I get a window telling me "The operation can't be completed because the original item for 'Tall TC Disk can't be found."

The default name of the Time Capsule disk is "Data". Did you change the name from "Data" to "Tall TC Disk" at some point?

If you have not already tried the steps below a few times, please give them a try.

Power off the Time Capsule

Shut down your Mac

Wait a minute

Start up the Mac and let it run for a full minute

Start up the Time Capsule and let it run a full minute

Try the operation again

If still no luck, it may be necessary to try to manually access the disk on the Time Capsule by using the Finder "Go" > "Connect to Server" command.

Dec 11, 2021 9:54 PM in response to hlritter

To find the correct path do the following.

Open the TC folder in your Mac Finder.

Drag the file into an open Terminal.

So I copied your rather complicated disk name.. see below.. and chose a random file out of a random folder.

In Terminal it looks like this.

rpmhs-iMac:~ rpmh$ /Volumes/Tall\ TC\ Disk/elcrapofolder/Screen\ Shot\ 2015-10-22\ at\ 12.06.21\ PM.jpg 

-bash: /Volumes/Tall TC Disk/elcrapofolder/Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 12.06.21 PM.jpg: cannot execute binary file

rpmhs-iMac:~ rpmh$ 

Volumes is the mount point in Mac OS.. but for your Sonos you will need full name of the TC.

So something like //tc5e/Tall\ TC\ Disk/elcrapofolder/Screen\ Shot\ 2015-10-22\ at\ 12.06.21\ PM.jpg

Please note carefully how much harder it is when you have spaces in the name.. Spaces are handled in different ways according to the OS but I strongly recommend you get rid of them.

eg in linux use " "

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/530578/how-to-write-the-path-of-a-folder-with-space-in-its-name

Sonos is probably linux based.

My recommendation for years and years around here... is all names on the TC are short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. That is going to be the easiest and most likely to work.

For a situation like Sonos and trying to find the TC on the network I would also strongly recommend you set a static IP. Big help to Mac OS especially later versions since Catalina. This will not be needed where the TC is your main router but if it is bridged change over from DHCP to static in the TC itself...

Note you may need to manually put in the DNS servers. Either same as the main router address above it or a simple public DNS like 8.8.8.8 is fine.

If the Sonos then has issues at times finding the TC you can use IP instead of name..

ie //192.168.20/193/ is = //tc5e/ from my example above.

Static IPs often work better.

Same in the Mac BTW.. as Bob said use Go, Connect to Server and IP address instead of name.

I am now going to change disk name back to data.. so as not to confuse everything.

If you really like Tall TC Disk then use underscores or dashes between the letters so it is one word.

Dec 12, 2021 5:35 AM in response to hlritter

Try the following to see if it will change the name of the Time Capsule disk back to Data.

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click to select the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click directly on the current name of the Time Capsule disk, which in your case would be Tall TC Disk and you should be able to edit the name back to Data at that point

In the example below, you can see that the name of my Time Capsule disk is Backups, but it can be edited once I click directly on the name of the disk.

Click Update at the bottom of the window to save the changes and the Time Capsule will restart with the new disk name.

Dec 11, 2021 6:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

That solved the problem, thanks! I've been using Macs since 1985 and am deeply chagrined that still I didn't think to power-cycle the Time Capsule. You'd think by now...

If I may ask another question, I want my Sonos system to access the iTunes library on the Time Capsule. The Sonos app seems rather primitive in that it doesn't offer a way to browse for the folder, but wants the path manually typed in. I guess the path would end Tall TC Disk/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music (the hierarchy as it exists on my TC). But how does it begin?

Dec 11, 2021 7:46 PM in response to hlritter

If I may ask another question, I want my Sonos system to access the iTunes library on the Time Capsule

Sorry, I have not used Sonos, so probably can't help out much on your question.

I do know that Sonos assumes that you have moved the iTunes Music folder from your Mac over to the Time Capsule disk, so if you have already done this, the path would look something like.......

//Tall TC Disk/iTunes Music

Sonos will not be able to access the iTunes Music folder from a Time Machine backup of your Mac(s) on the Time Capsule disk, if that might be what you were thinking.

Might be best to get with Sonos Support to have them confirm the latest and best method to move the iTunes Music folder on your Mac over to the Time Capsule disk.

The downside......Time Machine cannot back up the iTunes Music folder that has been moved from your Mac over to the Time Capsule, so you will need to manually copy that folder over to another hard drive to keep a backup of the music folder.

Dec 12, 2021 5:16 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I'll work on this. I'm trying to take your suggestion of renaming the Time Capsule and the data folder. I was able to rename the TC as Time_Capsule, but the former Data folder, which I want to rename Data, is not allowing me to rename it. I can highlight (dark blue) the folder name with a click, but a second click does not change the name field to editable form (light blue). This is puzzling, since as you surmised, I did change the name to Tall TC Disk from Data back when.

Can't open AirPort Time Capsule folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.