Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make my "Time Capsule" drive not viewable by everyone on my wifi network?

Have a 2TB "Time Capsule" (hard drive built in to an old Apple Airport wifi router) which I use to manually backup files as needed. I connect to the Time Capsule by (in Big Sur 11.6.2) doing Finder>Go menu>Connect to Server>Browse button>choose Time Capsule. I connect automatically, with no need for a password or anything. It works fine.

The problem s that when I have guests over, I let them log on to my wifi, and in theory any one them could presumably do the same thing and connect to my Time Capsule, and see what files are on it (even if they don't have read/write privileges).

I guess this will sound like a stupid question, but how can I change the settings such that no one (including even me) can connect to the Time Capsule over wifi without a password? Or how else can I make the Time Capsule inaccessible/invisible to guests logged in to my home wifi network?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 5:24 PM

how can I change the settings such that no one (including even me) can connect to the Time Capsule over wifi without a password?

Change the shared disk password.

You probably have the same wifi password used for everything on the Time Capsule now. This is due to the way the setup wizard guides you through the setup but it is easy to fix the problem. In the Airport Utility click the icon of the TC, click edit in the summary.. then go to the disk tab and change the security setting for shared disks.

Use disk password. Type in a new password for disk access.

You should also change the access password for admin.. but that is up to you.

how else can I make the Time Capsule inaccessible/invisible to guests logged in to my home wifi network?

This is easy.. do not give them access to your main wifi.. setup guest wifi access. I am assuming your TC is the wifi router in your network. If not then it will depend on what model main router and wifi access system you have. We will need more info to help.

Go to the wireless tab and enable guest wireless .. with or without a password is up to you.

Do not hand out your main wifi password. Guest wifi allows internet access but no local network discovery or access.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 5:24 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

how can I change the settings such that no one (including even me) can connect to the Time Capsule over wifi without a password?

Change the shared disk password.

You probably have the same wifi password used for everything on the Time Capsule now. This is due to the way the setup wizard guides you through the setup but it is easy to fix the problem. In the Airport Utility click the icon of the TC, click edit in the summary.. then go to the disk tab and change the security setting for shared disks.

Use disk password. Type in a new password for disk access.

You should also change the access password for admin.. but that is up to you.

how else can I make the Time Capsule inaccessible/invisible to guests logged in to my home wifi network?

This is easy.. do not give them access to your main wifi.. setup guest wifi access. I am assuming your TC is the wifi router in your network. If not then it will depend on what model main router and wifi access system you have. We will need more info to help.

Go to the wireless tab and enable guest wireless .. with or without a password is up to you.

Do not hand out your main wifi password. Guest wifi allows internet access but no local network discovery or access.

How to make my "Time Capsule" drive not viewable by everyone on my wifi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.