Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes

I make changes to folder names, song names, etc. within the the iTunes media directory but they do not show up in the iTunes desktop app. In fact it looks like the app reverses any changes made directly to the media folder? Do these changes have to made form within the desktop app?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:11 AM

Once imported into your iTunes Library, folder names should not be changed in any circumstances and any changes to song titles, artist names or album titles must be made in iTunes.

If you use Windows Explorer (or third-party software) to make changes to folder names, or to the files themselves, iTunes will lose track of them and be unable to play them. So considering what you've told us, I am surprised to hear that your changes are reversed by anything, let alone iTunes. Usually, iTunes ignores such changes, which is why it is then unable to find or play the song.

Are you sure the changes take effect, or does Windows Explorer simply not make the changes, perhaps because the files are protected from such changes? Can you see the changed filename?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 10:11 AM in response to acomgus

Once imported into your iTunes Library, folder names should not be changed in any circumstances and any changes to song titles, artist names or album titles must be made in iTunes.

If you use Windows Explorer (or third-party software) to make changes to folder names, or to the files themselves, iTunes will lose track of them and be unable to play them. So considering what you've told us, I am surprised to hear that your changes are reversed by anything, let alone iTunes. Usually, iTunes ignores such changes, which is why it is then unable to find or play the song.

Are you sure the changes take effect, or does Windows Explorer simply not make the changes, perhaps because the files are protected from such changes? Can you see the changed filename?

iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.