Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (3rd Gen) keeps asking for password

Hello. My Apple TV keeps asking for my iTunes password, not only when I turn it on, but also whenever I access certain areas of the menu and periodically while I'm trying to use it. I mostly use it currently with AirPlay to listen to music from my iPhone, and it works in that capacity, but will still ask for my iTunes password. Any ideas why it keeps doing this? Thanks.

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:10 AM

• Apple TV asks for Apple ID password, enter it.
  • An authentication code will be sent to your iPhone or iPad or Mac.
  • Apple TV asks for the Apple ID password again, enter it followed by the authentication code. For example if your Apple ID password is XYZ123 and the authentication code is 4567 enter XYZ1234567

Do this quickly or it will time out!

Also, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade and buy an Apple TV 4K and retire your Apple TV 3 which is very antiquated. If you are in the USA you can get one for $119 right now, please look at Apple TV 4K 64GB with Apple Siri enabled Remote with voice control (macsales.com)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 10:10 AM in response to Shaun Wilkinson

• Apple TV asks for Apple ID password, enter it.
  • An authentication code will be sent to your iPhone or iPad or Mac.
  • Apple TV asks for the Apple ID password again, enter it followed by the authentication code. For example if your Apple ID password is XYZ123 and the authentication code is 4567 enter XYZ1234567

Do this quickly or it will time out!

Also, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade and buy an Apple TV 4K and retire your Apple TV 3 which is very antiquated. If you are in the USA you can get one for $119 right now, please look at Apple TV 4K 64GB with Apple Siri enabled Remote with voice control (macsales.com)

Apple TV (3rd Gen) keeps asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.